? About Scale-Flowers To Cake

Decorating By KakesbyKris Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 8:55am by Chellescakes

KakesbyKris Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 6

I have come up with a design for wedding at the end of April and am getting ready to start making GP roses for it. It will be a 4 tier round with these drapes going around each tier and gathering at alternating places on each tier. Where it is gathered will be 3 roses. As I am thinking this out I am wondering if the size of the flowers should change with the size of the tier. What I mean is should the roses on the 6 inch be smaller than that on the 12 inch? I hope I am explaining it well. So the roses would get bigger with each tier just as the tier gets bigger.
My other thought was maybe they are the same size but in different stages of bloom, Like 3 buds on the smallest tier mid bloom on the middle, full bloom on the bottom.
TIA!

5 replies
KASCARLETT Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 6

I like the different stages of blooming better. I just think it would look "off" if the roses are of different sizes.

Elcee Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:06am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

My other thought was maybe they are the same size but in different stages of bloom, Like 3 buds on the smallest tier mid bloom on the middle, full bloom on the bottom.

Hi, Kris icon_smile.gif, I like this idea but would mix it up a bit...bottom, 3 full roses; next tier 2 full and one bud; then maybe 2 buds and one full; finally 3 buds or just a single full.

KakesbyKris Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:03am
post #4 of 6

Thanks ladies! I think I am going to do the stages of bloom.

When you do a cake with tiers and flowers on each tier, should you worry about scale? I have been looking at pictures and have seen where cakers use the same size flower no matter the size of tier. I just worry about having this top tier and all you see is a flower overpowering it. I guess it will just depend on the design as I have seen some small cakes with a big flower and they look lovely.
I guess I was just looking for some kind of reference point/rule to go by when figuring out how big to make things. Of course that is a little silly since cakers are breaking the "rules" every day with what we thought we could do with BC or fondant. Anything is possible and if done well can be stunning!
icon_biggrin.gif

sweetaudrey Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:54am
post #5 of 6

In some cases I think scale is important. But it's almost a personal preference. Some may say that having all the same size makes the cake look more 'uniform' and they like that better. icon_smile.gif

Chellescakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:55am
post #6 of 6

I do roses a lot , and I tend to mix it up a bit with size , I use buds, half open , full blown,

I tend to vary the quantity I use rather than size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%