Business Logo

Business By dreamsville Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 6:54pm by KoryAK

dreamsville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamsville Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 18

How did you all decide on your business logo? Did you design it yourself or find something online? I have one I'm not extremely happy with and just wondered what everyone else does.....please discuss icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
JenniSize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniSize Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsville

How did you all decide on your business logo? Did you design it yourself or find something online? I have one I'm not extremely happy with and just wondered what everyone else does.....please discuss icon_biggrin.gif

I am a graphic designer by day so I designed our logo. We had our name first and then an idea of what kind of feel we wanted. I took that and came up with our logo.

Where did you get your current logo? What I've discovered about logos, is that they don't have to be permanent. Just be sure not to go out and buy lots of business cards and stuff before you're absolutely sure you have what you want.

Good luck!

dreamsville Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 18

we had an artist friend draw one for us. And I like the picture, it's well done....but now that we've had it a week or so I think it's too "cartoonish" for me. I want something a little more classy but that also tells people that we do whimsical cakes.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 18

I'm having an artist friend do mine. It's awesome, and he works within my budget.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 18

I searched online and found the perfect logo for me. I just googled cake and cupcake pics.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 18

How do you turn an artists drawing into a logo? Do you just scan it in?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 18

You'll typically get better results if you have the logo made directly on the computer (with a tool like Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator) instead of scanning it in.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

I searched online and found the perfect logo for me. I just googled cake and cupcake pics.

Just be careful when incorporating other people's pictures you find online in your logo -- they own the copyright on their pictures and you can't legally use them for your own business unless they give you express permission.

There are plenty of libraries of stock photos on the web that will sell you licenses to legally use their photos, Shutterstock is one such site with affordable pricing.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 18

I made mine myself. I did get inspiration from a friends logo, but asked permission. And looking at them side by side they dont look the same (to us atleast)

Mine-http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetheartconfections/5267047495/

My friends- http://www.sweetsbyally.com/

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 12:03am
post #10 of 18

I hired mine done. She did an amazing job, IMO. I LOVE my logo, and I get so many comments on how others love it too....

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:45am
post #11 of 18

I am looking for a graphic designer to do my logo. I am hoping to use someone locally, so I googled for logo designers in my home town. I found three that I have sent out email asking for further conversation. I hope it goes well.

Loucinda - I love your logo. It is very pretty.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:07pm
post #12 of 18

I can send you the info on the person who did my logo, she is actually a member here! Just pm me and I will give you her email address.

kristieanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristieanna Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 18

I made my own. I'm not a graphic designer so it's nothing fancy.

Quote:

^^This doesn't make it your logo...it's stealing someone else's work. Just saying!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieanna

Quote:

^^This doesn't make it your logo...it's stealing someone else's work. Just saying!

ditto

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:17am
post #15 of 18

I had a friend make my logo. I am paying her by making her daughters' birthday cake. I think I got a good deal!

dreamsville Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:01pm
post #16 of 18

YEs my artist friend just drew it for me and we scanned it in. You wouldn't really know it was hand drawn to look at it except that it is black and white (which I wanted at first just to know what it would look like) but now I think there are too many details and it's too cartoonish for me. Maybe I'll have her try it again. I just didn't want to offend her by telling her I've decided I didn't like it.

sagemedia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sagemedia Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:16pm
post #17 of 18

I run a small media design/dev company and would be happy to help.

You'll want to avoid using any images you find online - they're generally legally owned by someone else, and even if you're using stock/clip art that you paid for, you still don't own it. So you won't be able to trademark your own logo.

If you're drawing up your own logo, definitely go the Illustrator route. Photoshop is a raster format program, which means that the size you create it in is the size it's optimized for. So if you try to blow it up for signage or advertising, you'll end up with a blurry mess. Illustrator is a vector program, which means you can scale the artwork in either direction without losing any image quality.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or email if you want more info.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:54pm
post #18 of 18

I paid someone ($75) to do it for me and am very happy with it. I have had several people "in the biz" comment that they can tell it is a professional job. You can see it on my website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%