How Long Will This Cake Stay Fresh?

Decorating By Hafsx Updated 12 May 2014 , 1:05pm by Itsmeandrea

Hafsx Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone! I'm new here icon_smile.gif but anyway,

I got a cake order for m&ms and kitkat barrel cake and I used betty crocker milk chocolate cake mix and chocolate frosting. I made it today at 11 pm, and it will be served tomorrow at 12 midnight. Will the cake be fresh when it is eaten? or the taste will change?

Worried baker! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
ycknits Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 8

Once the cake is sealed up with icing, it will keep at room temperature for several days as long as it is not cut. This assumes that you're using a shelf-stable icing and fillings... i.e. not whipped cream or fresh fruit or cream based filling, etc.

I frequently ice and cover my cakes with fondant on Thursday evening, decorate on Friday, and deliver/serve on Saturday.

ajwonka Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 8

It'll be great! I always bake & decorate a full 24 hours before it'll be eaten! The icing keeps the cake fresh!

Uniqueask Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 8

As long as your cake is covered in Buttercream it should be fresh for up to a week, or more depending on wher it is stored.

Hafsx Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 8

You all are amazing! Thankyou. I'll put it in the fridge. icon_smile.gif

ycknits Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 8

One more caution about refrigerating the cake.... especially if it has much added decoration on it. Refrigeration - which translates to a large temperature change for the cake - can be hazardous to the decorations on the cake. Regrigeration can dry out the cake... and when you remove it from the refrigerator, condensation is likely to form on the cold cake. And the condensation/moisture can damage your decorations.

My recommendation would be to cover it with a dome if you have one and let it set out.... or just put it somewhere safe - uncovered - until you're ready to serve it. It really will be fine and the cake will still be fresh.

I remember my mother leaving cakes sit, covered, on the countertop for several days with no problems. I think its just been the past couple of decades that we got the idea that we have to refrigerate everything. I've noticed that my relatives and friends in Europe do not refrigerate everything like we do in the US.... but, of course, their refrigerators are much smaller than ours icon_smile.gif

Hafsx Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

One more caution about refrigerating the cake.... especially if it has much added decoration on it. Refrigeration - which translates to a large temperature change for the cake - can be hazardous to the decorations on the cake. Regrigeration can dry out the cake... and when you remove it from the refrigerator, condensation is likely to form on the cold cake. And the condensation/moisture can damage your decorations.

My recommendation would be to cover it with a dome if you have one and let it set out.... or just put it somewhere safe - uncovered - until you're ready to serve it. It really will be fine and the cake will still be fresh.

I remember my mother leaving cakes sit, covered, on the countertop for several days with no problems. I think its just been the past couple of decades that we got the idea that we have to refrigerate everything. I've noticed that my relatives and friends in Europe do not refrigerate everything like we do in the US.... but, of course, their refrigerators are much smaller than ours icon_smile.gif

I let it out for one hour before going to sleep, but the kitkats and m&ms were melting! So I had to put it in the fridge. Thanks for the advice anyway icon_smile.gif

Itsmeandrea Posted 12 May 2014 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 8

AIs it ok if i'll leave it on our table with icing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%