Wiring Gumpaste Lilacs

Decorating By aspencakes Updated 4 Apr 2011 , 10:53pm by HappyCake10609

aspencakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 9

I need some advice about wiring gumpaste lilacs. Has anyone done this? I have made them with a paper stamen center and am having trouble with how to make the shape of a true lilac flower? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you

8 replies
cookiemom51 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 9

aspencakes, are you going to wire each of those itty-bitty flowers to a central stem? Sounds beautiful, and too tedious for me! I love lilacs, and I always "glue" my little flowers with royal icing to a central form made of large marshmallows shaped and fixed onto a skewer. Not as botanically accurate, of course, but pretty effective. HTH

aspencakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, I know it is tedious....my step daughter requested lilacs on her wedding cake! Thanks for your reply as it has given me a new idea!

cookiemom51 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 9

Glad I could help. I am sure your step-daughter will be very happy with your work!

HappyCake10609 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 9

I actually just made a video tutorial on how I make my lilacs (I had to figure it out a few months ago...) You can see it on my new blog:

I thought I'd share in case you can find it helpful icon_smile.gif

aspencakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCake10609

I actually just made a video tutorial on how I make my lilacs (I had to figure it out a few months ago...) You can see it on my new blog:

I thought I'd share in case you can find it helpful icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much!! I will have a look at it now

aspencakes Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 9

HappyCake, that was a great tutorial and I love your lilacs. The snoring was hilarious. Thanks again

Elcee Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 9

HappyCake10609, I love checking out fellow CCer's blogs. Yours looks nice. I just signed on as a follower. I'm looking forward to the lilac tutorial.

HappyCake10609 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you! I started the blog, and the idea of tutorials to keep me occupied between cakes and while I'm working on getting my business started (I have to find a kitchen to rent!).

Here is the direct link to the lilac tutorial: http://happycakesbakes.blogspot.com/2011/04/gumpaste-lilac-video-tutorial.html That is the one I meant to post earlier, instead of my homepage, but I'm new to this blogging thing and forgot!

Yes, the snoring IS hilarious, we had a good chuckle over it. My tiny little dog snores so loud, and I'm so used to it I didn't even realize she was snoring until I watched the playback!

Elcee- I subscribed to your blog as well! I love the fact that it is about cake challenges, I've only done one and I'm interested in competing again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%