Do You Have A Favorite Blossom Cutter?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 3:55pm by Dayti

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 14

Hi all I am looking to get some blossom cutters. so far I have narrowed down to these 2 types/ brands... what do you recommend (of these or another type)?

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17383&name=PME%20Flower%20Blossom%20Plunger%20Cutter%20Set%20of%204

OR

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16152&name=FMM%20Small%20Blossom%20Cutter%20Set

13 replies
miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 14

I've got both types and I personally prefer the plunger cutters. I find the ejector thing to be fiddly and quite annoying. That said, I'll use the one that gives me the look that I want.

CiNoRi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:51am
post #3 of 14

I am about to order the plungers based on Miss_sweetstory recommendation (thanky btw icon_wink.gif ). Anyone else?

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:11am
post #4 of 14

I agree, I think the plunger thing looks like a pain. I don't have any of the other so I am no help there. I do have a butterfly that is like that and I LOVE IT! So based on that, I am thinking that you will really like the flower.??

CiNoRi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:14am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaSandy

I agree, I think the plunger thing looks like a pain. I don't have any of the other so I am no help there. I do have a butterfly that is like that and I LOVE IT! So based on that, I am thinking that you will really like the flower.??

Plunger or ejector is a pain?

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:36am
post #6 of 14

I have both plungers and ejectors and hands down the PME plunger cutters are better.

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:21am
post #7 of 14

I have cutters of both styles and have found that they're almost the same thing. The major physical difference that the plunger style has a larger ejection 'platform' than the ejection style (which only has a post), and some plunger styles have patterns or textures on said platform that will 'stamp' your cut-out (i.e., the snowflake). For tiny blossoms, though, the ejection style works really well since it'll curl your flower a bit around the ejection post, leaving a mark for your flower center. You've really just have to play with them and see which you prefer. Have fun!

K1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K1976 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 5:55am
post #8 of 14

Doesn't Wilton make them too? How do they stack up? TIA

CiNoRi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:12pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymakescakes

I have cutters of both styles and have found that they're almost the same thing. The major physical difference that the plunger style has a larger ejection 'platform' than the ejection style (which only has a post), and some plunger styles have patterns or textures on said platform that will 'stamp' your cut-out (i.e., the snowflake). For tiny blossoms, though, the ejection style works really well since it'll curl your flower a bit around the ejection post, leaving a mark for your flower center. You've really just have to play with them and see which you prefer. Have fun!

I plan to use veiners for the flowers, do you think the plunger style will leave an impression that would affect the veiners pattern?

Thanky

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 14

Love PME~

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 14

I agree with miss sweet story, I have both types, but prefer the plunger cutters - less fiddly thumbs_up.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:30pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymakescakes

I plan to use veiners for the flowers, do you think the plunger style will leave an impression that would affect the veiners pattern?

Thanky

No, the plunger doesn't leave any impression that would interfere with the vein pattern. It just presses the blossom out from the center. Just lightly run your finger over the blossom if you need to flatten it.

If you go the other route and get the ejector/cutter combination, remember that you only need to get one ejector... and it is usable with the other cutters that use an ejector. Only pay for the ejector piece once! Have fun.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:35am
post #13 of 14

sorry, hadn't been on here in awhile...I like the plunger. At least that is what I have for the butterfly and it is amazingly easy!!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 3:55pm
post #14 of 14

Just to throw a spanner in the works a little, I recently bought the blossom cutters by Windsor Clikstix. I bought them because their letter cutters work so well, and so do the flowery ones! http://www.windsorcakecraft.co.uk/multi_blossom_cutter.html?category_id=332 The advantage is that you can cut out lots at the same time and the ejection system is great. You can emboss them with the same cutter if you want, before ejecting. So easy to use, and much easier than cutting/ejecting flowers one by one like you have to with PME or FMM (which I also have). They do a daisy style one too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%