Do I Need To Wait To Apply Fondant

Decorating By tamdan Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 7:41am by sweetaudrey

tamdan Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I am new to cake decorating and will be making a birthday cake for my niece. I was thinking about covering it with fondant. Do I need to wait after I ice with buttercream to apply the fondant layer? Also, I am making it 2 days in advance so can I refrigerate the fondant cake? I've read that some people do and some don't. I was planning on filling the cake with a chocolate mousse and don't want anyone to get sick from it. Any advice would be appreciate. TIA

6 replies
cathyscakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 7

Jennifer Dontz, a famous decorator covers her cakes right away after frosting with buttercream, it works great for her. I chill my cakes in the frig before I put fondant on. I like to apply fondant to a chilled cake, I just feel more confortable doing that way. I think it works either way. Also, I always keep my cakes in the refrigerator,I worry about the fillings, and it feels more stable for delivery. I know alot of people don't, guess its a personal preference.

Kellbella Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 7

I chill em for about 10-15 mins.

Teialukamom Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 7

I've always chilled mine for a good 15 minutes. This seems to help stabilize the cake a bit more, creating a more solid surface for the fondant to adhere to evenly. Especially being new to decorating, I would recommend chilling your cake first. The more practice you get, the quicker you'll get at applying the fondant. You may eventually not need to chill your cake at all like the pros, but I've seen more pros chill than not. So chill out icon_smile.gif!

Happy Decorating icon_smile.gif!!!

tamdan Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:37am
post #5 of 7

Great, thank you!

cakification Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:40am
post #6 of 7

I just wait for my BC to crust up a bit before applying the fondant, but pretty much i put it on right away.

sweetaudrey Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:41am
post #7 of 7

But I think a really big question that still only has on answer so far....can you put a fondant cake in the refrigerater for long periods of time (like, as in, days)?? Will it make the fondant 'wilt' or go soft once it is take out and allowed to come to room temp??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%