Remove Water Shine From Fondant

Decorating By Susan_cakes Updated 31 Jan 2014 , 5:14pm by Stella2

Susan_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan_cakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 11

I am just learing how to work with fondant. (old school decorator) I am finding that when using water to attach various pieces of fondant to each other I end up with a shiny patch that is unwanted. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to how to remove the shiny spots.

Thanks!
Susan

10 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 11

I don't know about removing those shiny spots, but I can give you advice on how to stop them from happening. When I'm attaching things to fondant with water I dab the brush in the water, then blot it on a towel so you're just getting the tiniest bit of moisture on the fondant, enough to make it stick, by not enough that it's going to slip or drip leaving water shine. If anyone else out there knows how to eliminate water spots I know I would be interested in hearing how. Hope someone can help you! icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 11

I wonder if you could use alcohol to remove the water spots. I mean Vodka not rubbing alcoholicon_smile.gif That is what I use to remove color spots.

Also if water is hard for you to work with, try piping gel or buttercream to attach. I find I get less drips etc and I'm still guarenteed a good hold. Piping gel I think pretty much lasts forever and it doesn't take much at all to use it to attach small pieces.

Hope that helps.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 11

If the water spot dries completely, you're stuck with it.

If you catch it very quickly while it's still damp, dab some PS or CS on it, let it sit, & then dust it off. The mark will be almost completely invisible & much less obvious.

Rae

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 11

Welcome to fondant! I was terrified for SO long and now it's my preference. icon_smile.gif

For tiny pieces I use piping gel and a TINY brush...also for heavy pieces. Anywho I do this for tiny pieces because I find it hard to keep water from spilling off of them. Keep in mind, when using water, you need *such* a small amount to adhere. In fact, more makes it slip and slide usually! icon_smile.gif

If I do spill some onto my cake I use some powdered sugar to dry it quickly and then a scrap piece of fondant to blot onto the sugar to take it off. Hope that makes sense!!

Susan_cakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 11

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for your helpful hints. Much appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:22am
post #7 of 11

I use some corn starch to get rid of water marks. But to avoid it all together, use some crisco to place the pieces on, it sticks and you can adjust the placement if you want. And just wipe it away if you don't like it.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:34am
post #8 of 11

I just had this problem on a competition piece I was working on. The water spot had dried, so I blotted it with everclear (150 proof drinking alcohol) and then brushed over the spot with cornstarch. The water mark was gone!!

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:50am
post #9 of 11

I've heard that Everclear is great. I am a little embarrsed to go into a liquor store and ask for 150 proof alcohol! (he-he) I can hear the clerk saying, Sure lady, your cake decorating!

Susan_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks so much for your help! The alcohol worked wonders on some of the spots as well as misguided colors. icon_biggrin.gif

Stella2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stella2 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 11

Just tryed it with regular vodka and cornstarch and it worked out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%