Problem Covering Heart Shaped Cake

Decorating By kate1981 Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 12:58am by BlakesCakes

kate1981 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 9:51am
post #1 of 5

I have a problem with covering a heart shaped cake with fondant. How do i cover it so that it can be smooth without having any creases at the top of the heart. please help.

4 replies
Coral3 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 5

I'm just guessing here (hopefully someone who actually knows will chime in...) but I would think you need to gently ease the fondant into indented part of the heart first then ease it down all around. Does that make sense? I can imagine if you leave the indent till last you'll end up with a heap of fondant bunched up in there.

icer101 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 5
srkmilklady Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 5

The heart-shaped cakes I've done, (in my photos) I just made sure that I had plenty of fondant rolled out. I kept my cakes right down on the table, not on a turntable (less pulling on the fondant that way) and I covered the cake and cakeboard with fondant in the same manner as doing a round or a square. If your fondant is too "short", it seems like that is when you run into more creases...at least that is how I find it to be. Just work gently around lifting and smoothing like any other cake and you should be fine.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 12:58am
post #5 of 5

A good general rule for fondant covering is to start by adhering sharp corners & deep indentations first, then soft curves, and then straight lines.

On a heart, I roll out a nice, large piece of fondant. When starting to cover, I do the deep indent first, the sharp point second, the soft shoulders third, and then work in what's left on the straight sides.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%