Double Boiler--What's Your Fave And Why?

Decorating By hollynme2 Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 4:05am by cheatize

hollynme2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollynme2 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:34am
post #1 of 3

I am ready to buy a double boiler--and I am also willing to spend the $ for a good one. What is your favorite double boiler and why? I am tired of using a bowl over a saucepan etc.....thanks for your help and input!!

2 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:27am
post #2 of 3

If you watch cooking shows, you will find that professional chefs us bowls over a pot. I like the glass pyrex bowls. If you want a double boiler and you want the best, All-Clad is the way to go. I use that brand exclusively for cooking.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:05am
post #3 of 3

I don't know about brands, but I do have experience with two types of double boilers. The one I own is two metal pans. I got it for free somewhere and it's so old the bottom pan is missing the handle.It works quite nicely and I'll probably keep it forever. I have worked with one where both pans were glass. It worked well enough but when I was done it was nearly impossible to separate the two pans. I tried letting the water in the bottom pan cool down, putting it in the fridge for a little bit, and even tried sticking them in a sink of cold water. Eventually, I forced a knife between the two pans to get them unstuck. I thought I was going to break it, but it worked, thank goodness! The pans were a tight fit from the beginning so I'd watch out for that. You don't want steam ruining chocolate (if the pan of water below gets too hot and starts to steam) but you also want to be able to separate the pans easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%