Need Dairy-Free Cake & "cream" Recipe

Baking By MommaBay Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 7:13pm by JanH

MommaBay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaBay Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 12:56am
post #1 of 4

I have a friend who wants me to make her a small cake - she wants a replica of her wedding cake but on a 6" layered cake. She wants Strawberry shortcake kind of deal.... white cake, strawberry filling and whipped cream covered with red dots for decoration.

Only issue is it has to be milk-free! Her daughter has a HIGH sensitivity to milk and dairy needs to be avoided. Eggs are fine. Soy is fine (I bought vanilla soymilk)...

Now, I normally use a WASC.. but I am kind of at a loss as what recipe I should now use..

And how do I get a dairy-free whipped cream???

I BEG for your help!

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 8:13am
post #2 of 4
MommaBay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaBay Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks Jan... I used to be Vegan (well, 15+ years ago) so I assumed I coudl make whipped topping out of silken tofu. simply subbing in a fake sour cream I figured too BUT

(1) Can the whipped topping hold up to decorating it so its more like a buttercream? I believe the topping/frosting used was titled "Vanilla Whipped Topping" at the bakery if that helps what I am tryign to recreate.

(2) How does it taste??? It needs to taste good too!

(3) WASC - I can't use the boxed cake mix b/c it has lactose in it. So I need an actual good recipe

(4) I'd like a recipe people have tried and know it tastes good

PLEASE HELP!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 4

Here's a highly rated vegan white cake recipe from the CC recipes section:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2042/vegan-white-cake

And if you were a vegan (even in the past) you're way ahead of any other help I can offer.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%