Help, My Sugar Flower Petals Keep Sliding Of The Wires.

Decorating By TheButterflyCakery Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 5:42am by Spazmo76

TheButterflyCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterflyCakery Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all, this is my first time posting so I hope I posted this in the right spot. If not, I'm sorry. Every time I try to make sugar flowers using wires, this time I'm using fondant with Gum-Tex added, the petals slide right off the wire when I try to assemble the flower. I have been using homemade gum glue on the wires before inserting it. I let the petals dry for a day to a day and half or so. What am I doing wrong? Any advice is much appreciated, I'm a novice and teaching myself. Thanks so much!!

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 6

Did you use naked wires? Or did you cover the wire with floral tape?

If your wire is naked, just metal has no covering, then you want to cover it with floral tape. The floral tape will let the gum paste stick to it.

TheButterflyCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterflyCakery Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:31am
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much TexasSugar! I really appreciate your reply and it makes total sense! I had thought about covering them but I thought it would make the wire too thick. I am going to make some more petals tonight and I will cover those darn wires icon_smile.gif I'll post some pics of the orchids I am making when I get a successful one. Thanks again, so much!

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:54am
post #4 of 6

Are you making a little "hook" on the end of your wire also?

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:33am
post #5 of 6

Yes, make little hook, and also don't use too much "glue" on the wire. I was having that problem as well, then I use less "glue" and they stay put.

Spazmo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spazmo76 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:42am
post #6 of 6

Dip then end of the wire into water - gumpaste, fondant etc will stick. You will need them to sit for a couple of hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%