Making & Using Mmf

Decorating By vgereis Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 12:48pm by vgereis

vgereis Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all!

Well, for those that remember my posts last week... my cake was a success... and I have another "order" for one this weekend! Thankfully much less complicated than the last one... however... I don't think the fondant that I ordered will arrive in time. So... I was debating between covering the cake in buttercream and then just doing the decorative bits in the fondant I have leftover from last week.... or trying to make MMF.

Quick rundown of hte cake... it'll basically be the shape of a nurse's tunic/scrub and then wanted to make things like... scissors/pen in a pocket and stethoscope around the neck.. .maybe a bottle of pills or a syringe by the side etc... Question though... if the cake is covered in frosting... would I be able to make simple square pockets out of fondant? Or would it a)look odd... or b) not stick right etc?

Next question.... have seen a few recipes on here for mmf that rated quite highly... are there any in particular that you think are great? Is the taste really different from normal fondant? Also... do you use it in exactly the same way? I mean... does it have the same sort of texture and rolling properties as normal fondant would? I guess am just trying to see what lies ahead.. as... last week was my first time to use fondant.. and that was hard enough to get a hang of.. don't want to be experimenting too much with something that may end up being even harder to handle! lol!

Last question I guess.... is how long does it last? I mean.. if I make it tonight or tomorrow.... and just keep it in airtight bag... will it maintain the same consistency for the next day for decorating? Oh.. and does it dry the same way that normal fondant would? I mean... if I were to make the "decorations" ahead of time... would they harden up? Would I need to store them in a specific way so they don't lose their shape etc?

Thanks so much.. I know those are a whole lotta questions... just hope someone can help me out!

All the best,

Vicky

4 replies
debbief Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

Quick rundown of hte cake... it'll basically be the shape of a nurse's tunic/scrub and then wanted to make things like... scissors/pen in a pocket and stethoscope around the neck.. .maybe a bottle of pills or a syringe by the side etc... Question though... if the cake is covered in frosting... would I be able to make simple square pockets out of fondant? Or would it a)look odd... or b) not stick right etc?

If you get your bc nice and smooth, I dont think it would look bad to make the pockets out of fondant.

Quote:
Quote:

Next question.... have seen a few recipes on here for mmf that rated quite highly... are there any in particular that you think are great? Is the taste really different from normal fondant? Also... do you use it in exactly the same way? I mean... does it have the same sort of texture and rolling properties as normal fondant would? I guess am just trying to see what lies ahead.. as... last week was my first time to use fondant.. and that was hard enough to get a hang of.. don't want to be experimenting too much with something that may end up being even harder to handle! lol

I make and use MMF all the time. Ive made it enough times, I dont really use any specific recipe. It really depends on the area youre in and your climate that will determine how much powder sugar to add to your marshmallows. I use a 16 oz bag of marshmallows and less than a 2lb bag of powder sugar. Most recipes call for the full 2lb bag. I just keep adding the powder sugar until the consistency feels right. It really does depend a lot on the humidity level. I live in a dry climate so thats why I think I dont need as much powder sugar. I also put a couple tablespoons of water and Crisco in my marshmallows while Im melting them.

Quote:
Quote:

Last question I guess.... is how long does it last? I mean.. if I make it tonight or tomorrow.... and just keep it in airtight bag... will it maintain the same consistency for the next day for decorating?

MMF lasts a long time as long as its kept in an airtight container/bag. If it feels a little hard, you can put it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up.

Quote:
Quote:

... if I were to make the "decorations" ahead of time... would they harden up? Would I need to store them in a specific way so they don't lose their shape etc?

If you are trying to make figures or decorations that you want to hold their shape, you can mix a little tylose into your fondant before modeling. Or use 50/50 gumpaste/fondant.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!! icon_smile.gif

vgereis Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 7:43am
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much debbief for your help and tips!! It really means a lot that you took the time to answer my questions! Just a quick question on the mmf.... how much crisco do you use? And does it have to be crisco? Can it be butter? Here in Paris we don't have crisco, and not quite sure what to use in place of it!

All the best!

Vicky

debbief Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 5

Yes you can use butter. I actually use it in place of crisco too once in awhile. As to how much, I think you're going to need to experiment. I grease my bowl down really good and also the spatula I'm using to mix the marshmallws. Then I add a couple extra tablespoons to the marshmallows while melting them. I also keep some on hand while I'm kneading in my ps. I put a good layer on my hands and the surface that I'm kneading it on.

I probably use anywhere from 1/4-1/2 cup crisco or butter total. I've seen some people on here just add 1/2 cup to the marshmallows in the bowl right at the beginning.

After you've made it a few times, you'll get the hang of it and figure out what works best for you. Some people suggest buying premade fondant once just to see what the consistency is supposed to be like. I've never done that myself.

vgereis Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 5

Hi again debbief!

Just wanted to thank you so so so much for all your tips and advice about the cake and about mmf.... i bit the bullet and made it... and I have to say I love working with it! So much nicer to work with than ready-to-roll fondant! And doesn't dry out the same way! I made the cake last night and it was picked up today. She absolutely loved it, even though there were bits that I thought could've been better! hehe! I think sometimes I'm a little too self-critical! Just a quick question... when you get "wrinkles" in the mmf... how do you get rid of them? When I worked with the normal fondant, if you got any cracks, overlaps etc... you could just sorta rub it with the palm of your hand and they would fade... but didn't find it that easy with the mmf! Any tips for that?

Anyway.. thanks yet again for all your help! Much appreciated!

icon_biggrin.gif

Vicky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%