Covering Rounds- Advice

Decorating By SSGirly Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 11:59pm by rpaige

SSGirly Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 9

I have a probem, and I don't know how to fix it.

Everytime I try to cover a round with fondant, I always get a crease at one point... like the fondant wraps to the side instead of straight down and then when it meets the starting point it bunches... I can't really explain. ugh. I can never seem to get a perfectly covered cake. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or are there any tips on how to fix this problem?

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 9

When you smooth your cake do you start on one side and completely work around to the other side so you have a big chunck of fondant to deal with?

From me it is easier to smooth from the top down, rather than around the sides. If you smooth the first inch all the way around the cake, then the next inch and so on, you are able to spread the fondant out as you go, and you aren't stuck with a big bunch in one spot that needs to be dealt with.

rpaige Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 9

I, too, am having a problem covering a round cake. I end up with pleats. The more I work with it, the more pronounced the problem or the fondant begins to fall apart. Is my fondant rolled too thin? Help!

Kiwi-whisk Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 9

I found this problem, but the solution was when rolling out the fondant use more than you normally would, you will have a lot more excess but it eliminates bunching and pleats/seams and you will get a beautiful finish. You don't waste the fondant, just re work and use for the next cake

rpaige Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks Kiwi-Whisk! I am a newbie both at CC and cake decorating so I appreciate help from one and all.

I made a basball cap cake for my husband. I had the round cake on a taller base so I could work with it comfortably. I think I had plenty of fondant hanging down. I cut away alot of the excess. I wonder if the weight of the extra hanging down caused the pulling and tearing? Maybe I cut away too much and then was left with only a small amount to work with - hence the pleats?

I did well in my Wilton class and now I've completely lost the technique. Can you or someone suggest a visual tutorial somewhere that might help me?

Appreciate the help!

Kiwi-whisk Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 9

If you check out this website she has decorating tutorials, covering cakes etc

rpaige Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 9

Bless you! I will check it out today. Thanks, again! I'm going to get addicted to this forum stuff! Old ladies can learn new tricks!

dukeswalker Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 9

I found that I was rolling mine out to thin...I always thought thinner must be better because there would be less to crease but NO WAY - I was so wrong. Once I started rolling it thicker it has been a total breeze.

rpaige Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks Dukeswalker! I have some extra fondant in a weird color that I probably won't use again. I'm going to practice covering a bowl just for practice. Will definitely roll thicker and see about my results.

Thanks to everyone who has been so patient.

Quote by @%username% on %date%