French Meringue Buttercream

Baking By hollys_hobby Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 3:38am by scp1127

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 5

Is there a way to firm up FMBC? I made it a few days ago for the first time following this recipe: http://leitesculinaria.com/2860/recipes-chocolate-mayonnaise-cupcakes-butterscotch-frosting.html
The frosting turned out so soft I can't even pipe it on cupcakes. I know it is not supposed to be near as stiff as SMBC, but I don't think it should be soupy either?? Is there anything I can do to save it?? Thanks in advance!!

4 replies
diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe try popping it in the fridge for a while let it firm up then just give it a little whip again...well that's what i do with my meringue buttercreams..

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 5

I have had it in the fridge for 2 days, I would compare it to the consistancy of a pudding... Should I make a batch of SMBC and add some of this to it for the flavor? The flavor is divine, just not good for anything right now as is.... icon_sad.gif

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollys_hobby

I have had it in the fridge for 2 days, I would compare it to the consistancy of a pudding... Should I make a batch of SMBC and add some of this to it for the flavor? The flavor is divine, just not good for anything right now as is.... icon_sad.gif

Yes....do some SMBC and just mix some of it in...

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:38am
post #5 of 5

The french buttercreams I am familiar with are made like IMBC except it uses the yolks or it can use the whole egg. The recipe I use is perfect for piping and smoothing. There is another thread going on now about french buttercream. My recipe is on there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%