Bad Review

Decorating By Kiwi-whisk Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 2:40pm by debbief

Kiwi-whisk Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 15

This is a rather annoying story, that I hope no one else has experienced. I was thinking about opening my business from home and hadn't quite managed to get up the courage, unfortunately I slipped a disk in my back while at work so was on bed rest for 3 weeks, my lovely husband decided he would give me a liitle push into doing my own business and advertised my details, which I didn't know about. So not be able to move at all I got a call from a client, obviously I was quite surprised. But being in horrible pain I guess I was a little short with a person who wanted a cake for that afternoon. So being a lovely person he wrote a horrible comment on google reviewing my business. I still to this day look at the comment and get really mad ! But I guess it is part of having your own business.

14 replies
AnotherCaker Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 15

Well if you were short with him, you kind of deserved it, don't you think? He saw an advertisement for cake and asked for cake. He didn't know you had a slipped disk. I'd call back and apologize and shortly explain what happened. He may take the review down. If he doesn't you can put your own up countering his complaint.

amberc727 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 15

But he shouldn't have called and asked for a cake THAT afternoon! Even if your back wasn't hurt, that's just not feasible.

AnotherCaker Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 15

"He" can do whatever he wants. "He" wouldn't have left a bad review if you had politely explained his request wasn't possible. I get stupid calls like that all the time. If I snapped at all of them, I'd be toast.

Kiwi-whisk Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 15

No I didn't snap at him, I nicely said that it was not possible, I didn't see any need for a long winded response, as his request was unreasonable. He quoted that I was short with him. But took my refusal to take his order as rude. Everyone makes mistakes but you learn from them. Obviously you have a very strong opinion on this and I was only trying to share my story, hoping that if other members found themselves with a slipped disk that they may learn from my story. As I'm sure many of us work alone a back up system, someone to cover you or answer the phone may be a good idea,

AnotherCaker Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi-whisk

But being in horrible pain I guess I was a little short with a person

Just going by your own words, was what I based my replies on. I have not said the right things to customers either, and have learned lessons as well. One of the biggest things I have learned is to keep emotions and personal issues out of conversations, and not let what I'm going through affect conversations with people who have the power to affect my reputation.

scp1127 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:55am
post #7 of 15

With the internet, facebook, and twitter, we all need to be very careful how we treat customers. It will come back to haunt you if you are less than polite and offer an explanation. People do not know how long it takes to make a cake.

cake_architect Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:44am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-

Quote:

But being in horrible pain I guess I was a little short with a person

Just going by your own words, was what I based my replies on. I have not said the right things to customers either, and have learned lessons as well. One of the biggest things I have learned is to keep emotions and personal issues out of conversations, and not let what I'm going through affect conversations with people who have the power to affect my reputation.

i don't think 'being in horrible pain' can be simply constituted an emotion, such as someone having a bad day. if your as kind to your customers as you are rude on this site i'm surprised you haven't ran across a few bad reviews yourself. seriously, show some sympathy. op, i hope you heal up soon and the review can be taken down after proper apologies are issued.

scp1127 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:25am
post #9 of 15

From a marketing standpoint, Jamie is right in everything she wrote. A marketing professor would have said te exact same words. Don't answer the phone or meet with people unless you can respond in a way that does not offend people.

I have mentioned this before, read, The Thank You Economy, by Gary Vaynerchuk. One of the examples in the book is how one man's complaint on Facebook brought AT&T to their knees. The internet is our present and or future. Those who don't have a strict customer service protocol will find their businesses in serious trouble. There is another book, Satisfied Customers Tell Three Friends, Angry Customers Tell 3,000, by Pete Blackshaw. That ttle does not need an explanation.

Kiwi-whisk Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 9:49am
post #10 of 15

I do apologise if I have offended anyone, it was not my intention. Sorry

AnotherCaker Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:

I do apologise if I have offended anyone, it was not my intention. Sorry

I'm pretty sure you didn't offend anyone in here.

sweetaudrey Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberc727

But he shouldn't have called and asked for a cake THAT afternoon! Even if your back wasn't hurt, that's just not feasible.

I was just wondering, did he know that your back was hurt? I think maybe that is where I'm getting confused. Because, as a customer, I would think that he didn't realise that that day was 'bad' for you and not to call...he just needed a cake so he called. If you advertise, people will come. icon_biggrin.gif

snocilla Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 15

I don't think Jamie was being rude. I don't think the OP handled it as well as she could have. I am expecting a baby very soon, and have had to turn down several cake requests because I don't want to promise a cake and then be in labor and not able to make the cake.

I simply say something to the effect of:

"I am very sorry, but due to expecting a baby, I will be closed the entire month of April. Here are a couple of other local bakers (and I give their websites) who may be able to help you out."

I think you could use something similar. Of course, if you didn't know your husband was advertising, I can understand how you would be caught off gaurd, but the client has no way of knowing that.

cakedout Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 15

Kiwi- sorry to hear about this irritating customer and your back issues. I am suffering from the same thing right now. icon_cry.gif

Your hubby had his heart in the right place, it just would have been nice if he would have checked with you first! Anywho- I agree that this customer would have been refused despite your back issues, but in this case I think it would have been alright to mention your health as a second reason why you cannot provide him with a cake at this time. Sometimes you just gotta play the "sympathy" card. icon_wink.gif

debbief Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:40pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

my lovely husband decided he would give me a liitle push into doing my own business and advertised my details, which I didn't know about

I think this may be part of the reason the op was "short" with the customer. She didn't even realize she was advertising. I'm sure she was caught off guard.

BUT I still agree that the customer had no way of knowing any of these circumstances and is entitiled to his opinion. I would definately extend an apology and consider it a lesson learned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%