Buddy V's Expanding Business

Lounge By Kaytecake Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 4:57am by Kaytecake

Kaytecake Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 5:18am
post #1 of 5

I caught a new episode of Cake Boss and they had Buddy's sister, Grace, taking pictures of cakes for their website. They also showed the factory that they're updating for mass production.

I'm not that knowledgeable about the bakery business, but I was wondering if he will be able to keep the quality in his products if he goes to mass production.

Will he also market to grocery store chains? I'd be tempted to try his products if they're available. Does anyone know how this is progressing?

4 replies
Kellbella Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 5

Not sure about the progress, but I too had doubts about mass producing his pastries. Sometimes, I think bigger is not always better and am afraid some freshness and quality might get lost. Just my opinion. icon_wink.gif

Kaytecake Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:38am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Not sure about the progress, but I too had doubts about mass producing his pastries. Sometimes, I think bigger is not always better and am afraid some freshness and quality might get lost. Just my opinion. icon_wink.gif




I'm embarrassed to admit that we used to enjoy birthday cake from the grocery store. We didn't know any better until I started making my own and learned about quality ingredients and great recipes. There's something about some mass produced baked goods that has a funny aftertaste.

This should be interesting- Buddy and his sisters are making a point of examining the cakes for quality and appearance. That's got to be hard to control in mass production. Hey, he's a hot ticket right now, so the times right if he wants to go national.

Unlimited Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:17am
post #4 of 5

I think he's got a lot to learn about a real production facility. I hope he hires the right experts for advice about setting it up properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaytecake

That's got to be hard to control in mass production.




Quality control is easier on a production line. If you think about it, the same qualified person(s) (or machine) does their piecework on the assembly line. It's consistent.

Kaytecake Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:57am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

I think he's got a lot to learn about a real production facility. I hope he hires the right experts for advice about setting it up properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaytecake

That's got to be hard to control in mass production.



Quality control is easier on a production line. If you think about it, the same qualified person(s) (or machine) does their piecework on the assembly line. It's consistent.




That makes sense. I guess the quality comes from not cutting corners with the ingredients. If he uses the same quality that he does in the bakery, it should be consistent. I wonder what the price range will be. I'm sure they'll make a show about the grand opening when they're operational.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%