Suggestions On How To Help/encourage A Novice Cake Decorator

Decorating By lilnixki Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 6:12pm by TexasSugar

lilnixki Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 4:49am
post #1 of 4

My little sister is just getting into cake decorating. She is actually very good at it. Shes made my last 2 birthday cakes and they were awesome. She is very good with fondant. I would like to get her into the business somehow. She loves it and is good at it. I tried to get her job at the walmart I work at but it fell through. What should I do to keep encouraging her to do this. I know she could eventually go into business for herself. Right now she is unemployed so it would be hard to get the supplies she needs. Should I get her into classes? This is all new to me but I want to do what I can to help her. Please let me know.
Thanks
Nicki
I tried to upload pics of her cakes...but it wont let me right now...I will try again tomorrow.

3 replies
scp1127 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 5:15am
post #2 of 4

Tell her to keep learning and start saving money. Maryland has strict commercial kitchen requirements and it is pretty pricey to even have a home kitchen... separate with all of the requirements of a restaurant.

Unlimited Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 4

I'd continue letting her make my birthday cakes and keep telling her they are awesome! That will encourage her, hearing it from her big sis (especially if you pay her well for making itthat will pump her up even more!).

She might not need classesmany have the talent to teach themselves. You could buy her a book. If she's already been at this for two years or more, how did she learn what she has so far? If she's learned from books, you could ask her what new books she might like to have.

I'd also encourage her to get a job in a bakery. Even if she doesn't start out as a "decorator", she'd have the chance to observe and learn more skills in a "real world" environment. Tell her she'll never regret the experience she'll gain from working within a productive facility, and the paycheck isn't too shabby either!

TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 4

What about a sister cake play date where you get together and play cake, or try something new or go window shopping for cake stuff?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%