Lettering With Molds

Decorating By jewordsoflife Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 10:14pm by Coral3

jewordsoflife Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:52am
post #1 of 10

I was wondering if anyone has used the Wilton gumpaste and fondant mold set for letters and numbers. I tried it today and about lost my mind! I couldn't get them to come out (I even lightly greased them with crisco) and when i did they were a hot mess! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Oh, and as I am new to this sight, does it always run so slow? I'm assuming it's because there are so many users.

9 replies
Coral3 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 11:10am
post #2 of 10

I'm not familiar with the Wilton ones, but I did just find this thread which might be of use to you:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-583746-.html&sid=117460f96c8a40506df82f93a623af73

I have some First Impressions alphabet molds that I have long ago given up on. They're such a pain - Tappits are SO much easier.

Kiwi-whisk Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 10

I bought the FMM letter set it sounds similar it was frustrating at the start but you need to roll the icing really thin as you would for sugar roses, and use lot of dusting sugar and they come out perfectly, they are fragile but look lovely on cakes and boards. I purchased mine from squires kitchen

jewordsoflife Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 10

I'd first like to thank you both for replying to my post, it means allot to me that you took the time to help!!

Coral3-You're thread was helpful and I will definitely try the suggestions I found reading it!

I also got my FMM funky alphabet and numbers in the mail today and am excited to try them! I'll let you know my results for both. If all else fails, I can always do chocolate molds icon_smile.gif

THANKS AGAIN!

sk8ter72 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 10

It also helps to put them in the freezer about 10 minutes. Also found out if you leave on in the mold overnight the pop right out!

PoodleDoodle Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 10

Mexican gumpaste works soooo much better than regular gumpaste. You don't have to worry about rolling it thin or getting enough ps on it. I love it!

carmijok Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleDoodle

Mexican gumpaste works soooo much better than regular gumpaste. You don't have to worry about rolling it thin or getting enough ps on it. I love it!

I've always used Wilton pre-made gum paste and love it...but am interested in the Mexican gum paste. What kind and where do you find it?
(I never use PS on gum paste...only Crisco. Makes it much easier to work with.)

Coral3 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleDoodle

I've always used Wilton pre-made gum paste and love it...but am interested in the Mexican gum paste. What kind and where do you find it?
(I never use PS on gum paste...only Crisco. Makes it much easier to work with.)

Some good instructions for mexican paste here: http://www.patchworkcutters.com/POM/pom_mexican1.asp

I started using it with patchwork cutters - it's great for those. I also use it if I want to model something that needs to be really strong...like walls for buildings that need to support themselves and tree trunks that need to stay up.

Note: If I want a dark/bright coloured Mexican paste then I add gel colouring in when I add the water, just reduce the water a little so you still end up with the right consistency.

sillywabbitz Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:06pm
post #9 of 10

For those people trying out tappits, one trick I learned here on CC is to place a piece of cling wrap on top of the gumpaste or fondant and then press the tappit through the saran into the paste. It works perfect every time. No stuff sticking in the letters, no struggling to get them out. I have no idea who posted the original tip but I could kiss them once I tried iticon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 10:14pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

For those people trying out tappits, one trick I learned here on CC is to place a piece of cling wrap on top of the gumpaste or fondant and then press the tappit through the saran into the paste. It works perfect every time. No stuff sticking in the letters, no struggling to get them out. I have no idea who posted the original tip but I could kiss them once I tried iticon_smile.gif

I tried that sillywabbitz (really only out of curiosity because Tappits and I get along well these days) ...but the letters didn't end up as smooth, and it seemed a bit fiddly/awkward to cut them through the plastic and the cut wasn't quite as clean. (Maybe I wasn't doing it right icon_rolleyes.gif or our cling wrap is different to yours or something, who'd know icon_confused.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%