I Don't Freeze Cake Balls - Is This Why Mine Are Not Gummy?

Baking By tryingcake Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 9:32am by tryingcake

tryingcake Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:51am
post #1 of 6

A friend recently asked me how to make balls. It told her there really isn't a tried and true recipe and measurements, it's more of a visual thing.

Anyway, I jumped on YouTube to see if I could find a tutorial for her rather than make one. They all froze the balls.

???????

I have never frozen mine. I was taught to air dry them. Mine are not gummy at all. They are more fudgy than anything.

I don't like them, because I simply don't like them (I don't like chocolate and they look gross while making them).... not because they are gummy.

Anyway, thought I would post this for the few posts I've seen in the last few days with people asking about the gumminess of cake balls. I didn't realize people were freezing them - no wonder I was so confused. I leave mine sit on the counter overnight to air dry (sometimes two nights if I got them too wet). Also people weren't adding chocolate to the wet dough. Just the cake and icing. My recipe adds chocolate at this stage so it seizes. And yes, you still coat them when finished.

People love them. But I don't think my recipe is what is floating around out there anymore, even though the one I used was pretty standard 10 years ago.

Crap! Now I have to make a video for my friend.

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 6

I think the chocolate is more of the difference than the freezing.

Years ago I also had a recipe for cake crumbs mixed in with chocolate. Got it off of LadyCakes.com, and I really liked them, like you I would say they were more fudgy or truffle like than the ones made with icing.

I had to make some with the icing for a Wilton demo and while they taste was good, I just wasn't a big fan of the texture of them.

amberc727 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

A friend recently asked me how to make balls. It told her there really isn't a tried and true recipe and measurements, it's more of a visual thing.

Anyway, I jumped on YouTube to see if I could find a tutorial for her rather than make one. They all froze the balls.

???????

I have never frozen mine. I was taught to air dry them. Mine are not gummy at all. They are more fudgy than anything.

I don't like them, because I simply don't like them (I don't like chocolate and they look gross while making them).... not because they are gummy.

Anyway, thought I would post this for the few posts I've seen in the last few days with people asking about the gumminess of cake balls. I didn't realize people were freezing them - no wonder I was so confused. I leave mine sit on the counter overnight to air dry (sometimes two nights if I got them too wet). Also people weren't adding chocolate to the wet dough. Just the cake and icing. My recipe adds chocolate at this stage so it seizes. And yes, you still coat them when finished.

People love them. But I don't think my recipe is what is floating around out there anymore, even though the one I used was pretty standard 10 years ago.

Can you post your recipe? Or is it already on here somewhere? If you do make a video, I would love to see it!

tryingcake Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 6

I also learned from the LC cake board (I am soooo traumatized she is closing down).

amberc727, it's not a written down recipe. It's a guideline and you watch for a certain look and feel. I think I taught how to make them at an LC retreat, I think the first year... can't remember. It was an unofficial lesson. I think I did. Heck, I don't know now.

I promised my friend a tutorial. So I guess I will make one this week. I'll let you know as soon as I do.

gregus28 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:12am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

???????

so you add chocolate instead of icing? or both?

tryingcake Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 9:32am
post #6 of 6

I add both, but very little icing. I will make a video this coming week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%