Has Anyone Ever Sold Their Business?

Business By sarahbisher Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 2:39pm by TexasSugar

sarahbisher Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 12:48am
post #1 of 6

My husband and I are going through a divorce and being that my cake business was legally under his name, I have to move out of my home in which the kitchen was licensed, and I am a mess and don't think I can continue making cakes right now. My husband can't afford to support himself plus me and my 3 kids so I am going to have to go out and get a steady income with benefits....I was wondering if anyone ever sold their home based cake business? I would be able to give my recipes, supplies, boxes, website, current advertisement contracts, my client list. Is this a ridiculous idea?

5 replies
countrycakes Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:27am
post #2 of 6

icon_sad.gif Just wanted to say that I am very sorry...wishes and prayers for the best for you.

Kitagrl Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:36am
post #3 of 6

I'm so sorry. icon_sad.gif

I would think it would be difficult to sell it as a business...but maybe you could sell all your equipment and client list...but you won't want to sell your client list to just anybody. Have any caking friends?

sari66 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:27am
post #4 of 6

I'm so sorry this is happening icon_sad.gif I agree with kitagirl you can sell your supplies but not sure about the clients, I'd have to be really sure about who I was selling them to.
Do take care

scp1127 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:13am
post #5 of 6

You couldn't guarantee that the clients would come to the new person. Physicians sell their patient files. The patient must at least contact the new physician to get their files. Often, the patient stays with the new physician out of convenience, but it's a percentage game. The cake client has no reason to ever have contact with a new bakery owner. I don't think it is worth any more than the equipment. Someone may be willing to pay you a referral fee, for example, you send an announcement that you are going out of business and this is who you recommend.

Why don't you rent your kitchen from your husband? My husband and I have this agreement, although we will never split, but we are smart enough to have a plan. If your husband needs the money, he may be willing. You could work out specific times for the rental use.

TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 6

Personally, I would be leary of anyone selling their 'bakery' because I would wonder why it didn't work for them. You have a good reason to be 'getting out of the game' but because it is a home bakery, I'm thinking really the only thing you could sell is the supplies.

If I was starting a business, I wouldn't want to buy someone elses website or name, I'd want my own. If it was a store front that was well known and had been there forever maybe. I also wouldn't pay alot for someone's recipes, because I would hope that at that point I would have my phone tried and true ways of doing things.

If you can afford to, I would hold on to your supplies. You don't know in a year or two if you will be in a position to do cakes again, even if it is at night while you work during the day, to make some extra money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%