A Bit Annoyed..

Lounge By Davwattie Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 7:04am by scp1127

Davwattie Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 4

Be warned this is a little rant!

Ok here goes, my SIL got engaged just after xmas and almost straight away asked me to make cupcakes for the evening do of the wedding. So I was a bit hurt she hadnt asked me to do the wedding cake but there you go.

Then she goes and asks me to make her a over the top 2 tier engagement cake for their party in May so I say no problem/

The thing that bugs me is today on facebook she was on about dresses etc(she's not getting married til sept 2013!) and some male friend of hers says something about if she needs a wedding cake he knows someone he can get cheap prices off and he'll bring some photos of what they can do to the engagement party to which she replies ' that will be great thank' icon_mad.gif

Its her wedding i know and her choice but I'm so peee'd off that I'm ok for the engagement and cupcakes but not good enough for the main wedding cake and the top it off she hasnt mentioned or even offered to pay for the ingrediants. She was quick to tell me she wanted cupcakes so she didnt have to pay £6 per head for desert in the evening icon_confused.gif

I think i'm gonna try and convince her that to save money she would be better just having a slightly bigger wedding cake from whoever near by(they live an 1.5 hrs away from us) and serving that for desert at the evening do instead of cupcakes, that way I wont have to have the hassle and can save myself time and money by just buying her a small gift icon_lol.gif

Why are in-laws such a PITA!

3 replies
TexasSugar Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 4

Could she had thought that maybe cupcakes were easier for you to make, and that she didn't want you having to worry about having to drive that distance with a big cake?

As far as her comment to the guy, honestly that could have been a brush off kind of comment, while it may mean she's shopping for cheap, it may also mean that she thought, well what ever, but thanks for the offer.

Take a step back to calm down then decide how you want to proceed.

If you didn't mention anything about price when she asked you to make the cakes, she may be assuming you would do it for free, because you are her SIL. If you have no desire to do that or can't afford to, then you need to talk to her and let her know that.

Davwattie Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 4

I know what your saying, to be honest I'm not bothered about the money but If it was me I would of asked if they wanted anything for doing it, you know at least offer.

They are DH's family(his birth mother's family, Yes I've got 2 MIL's lol) and they are the type of people that dont bother with you most of the time unless they want something from you.

Her BF is a waste of space ignorant person and they have 2 kids who they will fob off onto anyone who will look after them and I know wont appreciate whatever you do for them sadly icon_sad.gif

If she asks me again I will do them but am hoping she will change her mind and just get someone near them to do it icon_lol.gif

scp1127 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:04am
post #4 of 4

My sister-in-law, who is strapped for money, asked me to do my niece's grad/birthday cake. I said yes, that would be my gift (cost about $107, retail $400, three tier fondant with custom chocolates and cake balls to match). She then said she wanted a 3d bulldog. I laughed and said, "I'll still throw in the $100 and you can pay me the extra $900". She went back to the original idea. My three daughters told me that she asked her facebook friends to give her suggestions on who could do this cake. She even called Duff!!!! My brother just lost his job, and they are behind on their bills. I texted her that although I was under the impression that I was doing the cake, I must have been mistaken, so I will be bringing a gift instead. Yes, I was mad, and now she has to buy a cake as well as put on this party. Everyone knows her sister-inlaw, ME!, owns a bakery. I knew she still wanted me to do the cake, but I got out of it by being final in my text. If they don't respect your feelings, why are you doing it? Sometimes you have to do what is right for you. If you feel used, bow out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%