Building Cakes In A Cake Ring

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 3:11am by CWR41

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 4

Just curious...do any of you build your layers in cake rings using cutouts from sheet cakes rather than layers baked in shaped pans?

I noticed Laurie Detunno (Cake Alchemy) did that and then the guy from the Cake Artist on the new season of Amazing Wedding Cakes said he built his layers in cake rings.

I can see some advantages to the process......but I don't know that I am ready to give my pans up just yet!

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 4

I don't see any advantages... too much waste and too many crumbs.

I guess if you didn't own any cake pans except for sheets, you'd need to cut them out. If you ordered frozen layers from a supplier that didn't carry large rounds, you'd need to cut them from full sheets.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:01am
post #3 of 4

I make several tortes that have very soft fillings inside cake rings. I don't cut out of sheet cakes though, but I bake the cake layers, cut thin layers from the cakes, then assemble with the fillings and chill overnight. Then pop out and finish the torte the next day. Takes me back to my Pastry Chef days when this was the norm for many cakes.

Tami icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:11am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker_Rose

I make several tortes that have very soft fillings inside cake rings. I don't cut out of sheet cakes though, but I bake the cake layers, cut thin layers from the cakes, then assemble with the fillings and chill overnight. Then pop out and finish the torte the next day. Takes me back to my Pastry Chef days when this was the norm for many cakes.

Tami icon_smile.gif

We use acetate strips instead (for Black Forest cakes).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%