Is There A Buttercream That's Not So Sweet?

Decorating By CrumblesConfections Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 4:24pm by HappyCake10609

CrumblesConfections Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have any recipes for a great not-so-sweet buttercream? I need one asap that I can add different flavorings to. The people I'm making cupcakes for love the buttercream but think it's a bit too sweet (that's what sugar does, sweeten things, LOL) so I want to make it a bit milder if possible. I'm looking to do a chocolate and vanilla for sure and maybe a lemon and strawberry, but haven't decided yet.

14 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 15

dissolve some salt in hot water 1t to 1c water and use that to thin your icing, it will cut down the sweetness

CrumblesConfections Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

dissolve some salt in hot water 1t to 1c water and use that to thin your icing, it will cut down the sweetness

Thanks! I'll give it a try, but will the thinned icing still pipe the same on the cupcakes?

cupcakemkr Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 15

just use a little bit of the salted water - as part of what you would normally use to thin your icing. If you usually use 3T of cream or water to thin your icing make part of that amount the salted water

CrumblesConfections Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

just use a little bit of the salted water - as part of what you would normally use to thin your icing. If you usually use 3T of cream or water to thin your icing make part of that amount the salted water

Okay, will do. Thanks so very much for your help.

Zahrah Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 15

HEIRLOOM FROSTING. Seriously, if you try it you'll be hard pressed to use anything else one you do. My tip: I press the cooled milk/flour mixture through a wire mesh strainer before adding to the shortening& sugar (I use shortening instead of butter - I live in Florida).

StephW Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 15

Swiss meringue butter cream is not as sweet as traditional american bc and it tastes amazing!! You can add all types of flavoring to it as well and it pipes beautifully. It also doesn't crust.

For chocolate - I have frosted cupcakes with whipped dark chocolate ganache and they were great... not too sweet at all.

scp1127 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:07am
post #8 of 15

I agree with the IMBC. You can also use a french buttercream or a cooked custard base chocolate icing.

lola52 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:21pm
post #9 of 15

Swiss meringue buttercream is delish, and definately not as sweet as american buttercreams. Although its a little fussier to make id definately advis trying it because its so versatile. You can flavor it however you would like!

dst10spr97 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 15

I made Indydebi's and didn't find it to be too sweet. You may want to try that as well. Also when I have made others I add a pinch or two of salt and that helps cut down on the sweetness as well.

grandmomof1 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 15

I stir 1/2 teaspoon of salt into my warm water that goes in the crusting buttercream recipe. It makes the icing taste less sweet. The warm water dissolves the salt and helps make the icing less gritty.

HappyCake10609 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephW

Swiss meringue butter cream is not as sweet as traditional american bc and it tastes amazing!! You can add all types of flavoring to it as well and it pipes beautifully. It also doesn't crust.

For chocolate - I have frosted cupcakes with whipped dark chocolate ganache and they were great... not too sweet at all.

I agree, Swiss Meringue! I tried it for the first time a few months ago and fell in love! Definitely less sweet, perfect really!

This week I just made a batch of American Buttercream and it was almost too sweet for me to eat by comparison!

CrumblesConfections Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:49pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks everyone for all your tips and advice. I can't wait to try these different variations tonight!! Much appreciated!

CrumblesConfections Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 15

I made the SMBC last night and I love the texture but the flavor, not so much. It tastes too buttery. I used Martha Stewart's recipe though. I did the Heirloom frosting and I absolutely adore it! The first batch came out great, but I tried to double the ingredients on the 2nd round and it didn't come out right so I'll just do it a batch at a time, but it is wonderful! Thanks so much for the help!

HappyCake10609 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:24pm
post #15 of 15

I haven't tried Martha Stewart's recipe... the SMBC recipe I use is the 1-2-3 SMBC recipe from Youtube... I add about 2 TBSP vanilla flavoring for one batch, it takes quite a bit of flavoring, just add a little at a time to taste. I have also heard that using salted butter brings out a strong butter taste, not that you did, but something to keep in mind. If you really liked the texture and want to give it a try again, I would suggest trying different recipes:

There is a really informative post by FromScratchSF, her ratio's are different from the recipe I use, but the post is very informative:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=711181&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Her recipe has also been added to the recipe section of this site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%