Strawberry Cake For Topsy Turvy

Baking By sugardugar Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 5:09pm by sugardugar

sugardugar Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone altered the durable cake recipe (cake mix, sour cream, oil, water, egg whites, pudding) to make it strawberry or orange? I doctor mixes for both flavours but I certainly wouldn't carve with either. Of course I intend to bake a strawberry cake to test it hands-on (tomorrow) prior to carving for my cust but was looking for input first.

I was *thinking* white cake mix, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup strawberry juice?? [if I can find it...], 1 box of strawberry gelatin OR pudding if I can find it, 1/3 cup oil, 4 egg whites, 1 cup strawberries. How do you think this will hold up? Before I waste my monies on testing the recipe I'd like opinions! If I can't find strawberry juice I'll go with water.

7 replies
sugardugar Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 8

cakemombham Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 8

I use the WASC recipe but use strawberry yogurt instead of sour cream and add in a 3 oz box of strawberry jello. If you have it, you can substitute pureed strawberries for some of the water. Goog luck!

sugardugar Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:38am
post #4 of 8

yogurt - interesting!!!!! does that make it as stable as sour cream?

jaheve Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:06am
post #5 of 8

I'm new to this and was wondering why you can't use the strawberry DH box mix in lieu of the white cake mix?

...inquiring minds

sugardugar Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 8

jah: it doesn't exist in my area..

cakemombham Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 8

I have not noticed any difference in the stability. I have used it for everything from cupcakes to carved cakes.

sugardugar Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%