Wedding Cake Tasting

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 6:18pm by Zahrah

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:32am
post #1 of 3

I live in a very small town and while I have made many cakes, up until recently, not so many wedding cakes. Up until recently that is. I have never offered tastings and no one has ever asked. Most just want the common flavors like choc.,stw., or white because they don't want to pay the extra amount for a gourmet flavor so when they ask about price, I give them a price for a basic flavor. Here lately I have had 2 brides ask if I do cake tastings so I am now considering it. My question is how to get started...How many flavors do I offer at a tasting and if I didn't give them a price quote for a gourmet flavor, do I offer one for a tasting and then just tell them that it is a gourmet flavor and the cost will be a bit more per serving or do I just offer them tasting of the more common flavors...choc, stw., white? I have seen ppl. offer cupcakes as a tasting. Is this an easier way? The only problem I see in this for myself is that I use a simple syrup on my cakes and not on my cupcakes so I think there would be a difference in the taste and texture. Any advice would be appreciated.

2 replies
VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 3

I personally started baking cakes in loaf pans with extra batter that I had left from cake orders. I then wrap them very well and freeze them. About an hour before my tastings, I will slice a piece of each flavor and let it thaw. This way I am not baking a bunch of different flavors just for a tasting, unless they are requesting a flavor that I do not already have. Then I will bake the smallest amount that I can and bake in a loaf pan as well. I got this idea here on CC and if you search the forums for cake tasting, you will get more ideas. HTH!
Vickey

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 3

With more than 35 flavors, it would be impossible to offer tastings of everything on the menu. I try not to offer more than 3, preferably 2 cake flavors. Frosting flavors I offer in basic as well. Fillings are easier for me to offer in a larger variety. In my opinion, a cake testing is not to see IF you like a flavor OR NOT, but to determine if the baker makes cake and filling and frosting in a style you prefer. So when it comes to my cake tasting:

Did you like the cake (vanilla)? Was it moist? Was the texture what you desire? Etc, etc. So if you decide to go with a guava cake, it'll be just like this one - only it will taste like guava.

Are you pleased with the frosting (chocolate)? Was it light enough? Was the sweetness level what you're looking for? Etc etc. Well, when you order it in pink lemonade, it will be just like this - only it will taste like pink lemonade.

Keep in mind I am a small home based baker and this works for me. A larger bakery or a baker with a larger demand may find that something else works for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%