I Need A Stiff Cream Cheese Icing Please!

Baking By doramoreno62 Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 2:48pm by Kaybaby

doramoreno62 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:05am
post #1 of 11

I like the recipe I use but it's not stiff enough and the more sugar I add the more "glue like" it gets. Anyone have a stiff and delicious recipe out there??
This is the one I use:
16 oz cream cheese
4 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tsp clear vanilla
Thanks so much!

10 replies
doramoreno62 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:34am
post #2 of 11

Anyone out there Helloooooo!!

LeeBD Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 11

This is the crusting cream cheese recipe that I use(if that's what you mean by "stiff"). It is delicious, very light and not as sweet as Buttercream. I suggest using this instead of buttercream to all my customers.

1 1/3 Hi ratio Shortening
2- 8oz cream cheese(I always add just a little more, maybe another 2 oz)
3 tsp clear vanilla
3TBS Meringue powder
2 tsp butter flavoring
*1/2 tsp lorann flavoring of choice(opt)
or 2tsp of extract of choice
3.5 to 4lbs Confects sugar
Cream
This recipe makes alot, I just used it to dirty ice a 4 tier wedding cake-12" 8", 6" and 4"-so cut it in half for smaller jobs.

Cream shortening, cream cheese and flavorings 'til smooth-add meringue and 3TBS cream, continue to mix 'til blended-slowly add confect sugar beating on low. Once all sugar is in beat on med-high 6 mins. Add more confect sugar for thicker frosting. It will have a very light fluffy consistenecy but will crust. It's delicious.
As far as flavorings go...if you want an almond flavor add 2tsp almond extract. When I make Pina colada cake I add 1/2 tsp lorann pina colada. Last week I made a choc cake with nutella filling so to the icing I added lorann choc hazlenut flavoring. It was fantastic!

LeeBD Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 11

Sorry, that's 1 1/3 cup shortening

Valkstar Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 11

I make the cream cheese frosting from The Joy of Cooking and everyone loves it. It's also very simple to make:

75g butter at room temperature
225g cream cheese cold from the fridge
2 tsp vanilla extract.

Mix these together...don't overbeat but make sure the butter and cheese are mixed properly.

Add 1/3 at a time, 360g - 450g icing sugar (powdered sugar I think you call it)
The amount of sugar you use depends on how stiff you want the mix.

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBD

This is the crusting cream cheese recipe that I use(if that's what you mean by "stiff"). It is delicious, very light and not as sweet as Buttercream. I suggest using this instead of buttercream to all my customers.

1 1/3 Hi ratio Shortening
2- 8oz cream cheese(I always add just a little more, maybe another 2 oz)
3 tsp clear vanilla
3TBS Meringue powder
2 tsp butter flavoring
*1/2 tsp lorann flavoring of choice(opt)
or 2tsp of extract of choice
3.5 to 4lbs Confects sugar
Cream
This recipe makes alot, I just used it to dirty ice a 4 tier wedding cake-12" 8", 6" and 4"-so cut it in half for smaller jobs.

Cream shortening, cream cheese and flavorings 'til smooth-add meringue and 3TBS cream, continue to mix 'til blended-slowly add confect sugar beating on low. Once all sugar is in beat on med-high 6 mins. Add more confect sugar for thicker frosting. It will have a very light fluffy consistenecy but will crust. It's delicious.
As far as flavorings go...if you want an almond flavor add 2tsp almond extract. When I make Pina colada cake I add 1/2 tsp lorann pina colada. Last week I made a choc cake with nutella filling so to the icing I added lorann choc hazlenut flavoring. It was fantastic!

I'm going to have to try this, I'm sick of making Cream cheese soup!! icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

JRAE33 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 11

LeeBD...does that have to be refridgerated? It sounds great. Can't wait to try icon_smile.gif Thanks for sharing!!

CakeCrystals Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 11

I'm glad this was posted. I make red velvet cakes and make the standard cream cheese icing.

1/2 cup butter
2 - 8 oz packs of cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
4 - cups confectioners sugar

It makes great swirl patters when doing a dessert cake, but not good for decorating.

Thanks for posting this. I think I will try LeeBD's recipe and see how it works.

Babyprincess Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 11

Hey i have a question to LeeBD is this frosting stiff enough to make decorations and flowers for a cake?? This recipe sounds great ive been looking for one instead of buttercream is too sweet.. Is this recipe sweet as buttercream?

Kaybaby Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 11

This one is perfect for piping, nice and firm. You can find it in the recipes under Crusting Cream Cheese Icing by edencakes.

This is a recipe for a crusting cream cheese icing that Ive seen floating around this site in the forums. People are constantly looking for it and it wasnt in the recipes, so I thought I would post it. Its not mine, Kathy Finholt from Iowa is the original creator.
Crusting Cream Cheese Icing
Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions

1. Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioners sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.
2. This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.
4. If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%