Red Mmf - Help!

Decorating By sweetaudrey Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm by amberc727

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:46am
post #1 of 13

So I've done a search and nothing really came up for this so I'm asking in hopes that someone can help. I've never had to dye MMF a true, deep red before and I really need to for a cake I'm making for my sister next week. I need deep red hearts and I only use MMF. I've heard of people using red jello in their fondant to kinda get a base for their red food color. However, I have no idea if you can do this with MMF and how/when to add it. Can someone give me some advice on this PLEASE! Thank you.

12 replies
dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 5:36am
post #2 of 13

I've done red, red MMF...Start by dying it a deep pink - then go for red. Stop before you think it is red enough, let it sit over night and then add more if you need too. The Toy Story Cakes in my pics both have red MMF for the signs...

sweetaudrey Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 13

May I ask what kind of color you use? Gells I'm assuming? I'm probably going to go pick up some wilton gell color...would this be fine?

sweetaudrey Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 13

May I ask what kind of color you use? Gells I'm assuming? I'm probably going to go pick up some wilton gell color...would this be fine?

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 13

I've made red both ways - with Jello and with using the Wilton Candy Melts. Using the jello smells and tastes so yummy but using Candy Melts is much more easier and instant... Here are instructions that I've put together on how it can be done:
http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 13

Angela....are Candy melts and Candy Wafers the same thing?? I only found the wafers at Hobby Lobby.

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

AngelFood4 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodrill604

Angela....are Candy melts and Candy Wafers the same thing?? I only found the wafers at Hobby Lobby.

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

yes, they appear to be the same.

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 13

thanks! Gonna try it tonite!

sweetaudrey Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:27am
post #9 of 13

So this is with candy melts, what about Jello? you said you've used jello before. I'm trying to save costs and I have a bunch of red jello in my cupboard and and I don't have any candy melts on hand right now. Do you have a tutorial for this? Thanks =]

AngelFood4 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:09am
post #10 of 13

Sweetaudrey - here is the link to my page with info about MMF including the candy melts and jello:
http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/p/marshmallow-fondant-mmf-recipes.html

Note, that with Jello, you have to stir it really well into the melted marshmallows to melt it completely or else the MMF will be grainy. Another person here on cc told me that using the sugar free jello melts easier but I haven't tried it yet.

Good luck!

sweetaudrey Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 11:10am
post #11 of 13

Ok, thank you =]

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 13

I've struggled quite a bit making red mmf! Had never heard of the jello method! Can't wait to try it!

amberc727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberc727 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 13

I make my red mmf by using americolor colors, very deep red and don't have to use a whole bottle either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%