Best Way To Make This?

Decorating By vanki Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm by KathysCC

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 2:45am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!
I am going to replicate this cake and i was wondering the best way to do this. I asked the original owner but i wanted your opinions. Is it better to cover the entire cake in a layer of fondant first then lay individual squares or lay the squares directly on bc?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1535786

Thanks so much!

4 replies
VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 5

What did the OP tell you? Looks as tho they did an awesome job, so I would follow their directions. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They did a beautiful job on that cake, so I personally would do it the way that they suggest. JMHO.
Vickey

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 5

I did a cake with pieces of fondant..see the Apple computer logo cake in my pictures. I did my fondant pieces directly on ganache and have to say that if I had to do it over again, I would definitely do this cake with a thin layer of fondant underneath first and then put the little Lego pieces.

The reason is that my ganache (and I'm sure buttercream would do the same thing) tried to squeeze out from between the pieces. They also move around a lot. If you were to put them on fondant, I would think it would be a lot easier and neater looking.

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 5

VickeyC: I would love to follow the original directions....but the op hasn't responded and that is why i am looking for any and all suggestions!

Thats what i thought KathysCC. I really dont want to have bc squishing out of the fondant pieces. Do you think it would be too much fondant though? I dont want to serve a huge hunk of fondant to a bunch of small children.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 5

I would make the underneath layer of fondant really thin and make it green. It doesn't matter if it is see thru because it will all be covered. I wouldn't worry about all the fondant and children. If it is MMF, they will love it or just not eat it. A lot of time if you are going for a "look" you have to give up a little. I think a thin layer would work great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%