Carrot Cake Baked In A Wilton Shaped Pan... Bound To Fail?

Baking By Cheesetastic Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 12:38am by KoryAK

Cheesetastic Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 4

I have two carrot cake requests that both require shaped pans (dinosaur and a ladybug). I'm concerned about how the cake will hold up (and also come out) with the pan.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with carrot cakes in shaped pans? My usual carrot cake recipes are quite delicate (ie: not like sturdy chocolate cakes, etc), and I'm actually contemplating doctoring a cake mix to help my situation.

Any tips/ideas would be helpful!!

3 replies
DeniseNH Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 4

Try this: grease and flour both pans then line with strips of waxed paper. This will allow your cake to come out in one piece. Then carrot cake is stuppose to be firm and dense not delicate so why not combine your recipe with a carrot cake box mix and see if that gives you the consistency needed.

Cheesetastic Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 12:25am
post #3 of 4

I will try papering the sides icon_smile.gif I'll need to leave the bottom free, as it has details on it. I'm still contemplating how to make my carrot cake firmer though. With the pineapple and raisins that have been requested, I'm still concerned that whole thing is going to fall apart when (and if) it pops out of the pan in one piece!

Then there's the whole issue of piping a cream cheese frosting (although I've found some good shortening-added ones). Chocolate is so much easier.....hehehehe icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 12:38am
post #4 of 4

Try mixing your cake batter a bit longer to develop the gluten and give the cake a little more structure. There's so much oil and sugar in mine, I'd never get it torted if I didn't do this icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%