Outdoor Cupcake Tower In August?

Baking By dulcecakes Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 9:31pm by dulcecakes

dulcecakes Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 5

I have a bride who wants a cupcake tower for her outdoor wedding in August. I haven't done cupcake towers for summer outdoors yet. I would think if I do buttercream it will melt, right? Would it possibly be safe in the shade for a short time? I live in ID and it gets to be around 100 degrees...does anyone have any suggestions for how I can acccomidate her request? I appreciate the help.

4 replies
Cupcations Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 5

I think if you make the butter cream with vegetable oil shortening/Crisco instead of butter & water instead of milk it should be ok in such weather conditions
HTH

tryingcake Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 5

It depends on where you live. My hometown is Charlotte NC. I have lived in Southern Ca for 10 years now.

What I can do in SoCal in August I would never dream of doing in NC.

aprilismaius Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 5

i have done a lot of outdoor wedding cupcake towers in the heat and humidity of ohio summers. keeping things in the shade, under a pavilion or a tent is key, and is really a bigger factor than the heat itself. the sunlight will melt, melt, melt things. couple of things - what time is the reception? ask the bride is if she wants to have them on display the entire time? if not, maybe they can be rolled out part way through the reception. two - ask the bride how she would feel about ganached/fondanted (is that even a word) cupcakes, like they do in australia.

dulcecakes Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It is really good to know that it is more sun than heat. Also, I am not worried about humidity at all, Boise gets really hot, but it is a dry heat. I also like the ganache idea. Also, does anyone know if doing a SMBC or IMBC would be helpful or if it would make it worse? I haven't tried either, but I think I read on another forum that they hold up well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%