Help With Dummy Cake

Decorating By nana2me Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 6:58pm by CWR41

nana2me Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 4

I am making my first wedding cake and I am extremely nervous so any help would be greatly appreciated. They don't need a lot of cake (approximately 50 people are coming) but I want to really make it look fantastic (it's for my little sister) so I was thinking about doing a 5 tier cake. Since they don't need a lot I was considering doing a "dummy cake" for the bottom tier, saving a tier for them, and using the 3 other tiers for the guests. They want it to be unique so I am venturing out and possibly doing a 12" square, 8" round, 10" square, 6" round (which will be saved), and an 8" square in that order. I am not sure what to make my dummy cake out of as I have never done one before so any help with that would be fantastic. Also how do I save the tier for them to eat at their 1 year anniversary?

Thanks so much to everyone!

3 replies
CWR41 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 4

Wow! A 5-tier cake for 50 people! Are you sure that you're ready for this? (I don't think too many decorators start off with 5 tiers for their first wedding cake.) The entire cake serves 190, so if you eliminate the 72 serving 12" square (because it's a styrofoam dummy), it would still serve 118.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
The 10" square alone would serve exactly 50 guests, so all of the tiers could be dummies except for whichever size the bride & groom wants to freeze.

Most people don't make dummies... they purchase them. Are you asking what to make it out of, or are you asking what to cover it with?

You don't save the 1st anniversary tier... you let them save it in their freezer. Instruct them to freeze it until solid, wrap in several layers of cling wrap and a layer or two of foil, toss it back into the freezer with or without a box, and a year later--unwrap, thaw, and eat.

nana2me Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 4

It's not my first cake, just my first wedding one but I feel like I am ready to conquer it; that and the fact that it's my sister and she has complete faith in me helps with my confidence. I know that for a wedding a 10" serves 50 people but they aren't having a typical reception (no food is being served) so I am going to cut the servings a little bigger (think party servings), which is why more cake is needed.

I know some people use Styrofoam or RKT as dummy cakes (I did some searching) and cover it with fondant. I have just never made one so I was curious as to how it was done.

Thank you for telling me how to save their cake and I do know that they take it but I wasn't sure how to wrap it up for them.

CWR41 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana2me

I know that for a wedding a 10" serves 50 people but they aren't having a typical reception (no food is being served) so I am going to cut the servings a little bigger (think party servings), which is why more cake is needed.

In that case, the 12" square would yield 48 party-size servings and the rest can be styrofoam dummies (with the exception of the anniversary tier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana2me

Thank you for telling me how to save their cake and I do know that they take it but I wasn't sure how to wrap it up for them.

I wouldn't wrap it until it's frozen solid... just box it up or provide a box so the venue can box it, and let the bride and groom do the wrapping once it's frozen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%