Why Did This Happen?pound Cake Too High..

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 7:55am by scp1127

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 4

I just baked a 10 inch round Butter/Vanilla pound cake.The cake rose so high it took the patchment paper with it and pulled it about 1 inch up over the sides of the pan...When I went to take it out ..of course the sides stuck down below because the parchment rose up...so now I have a 3 inch high cake all broken along the top because it stuck.. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Does anyone know why this happened..Did I not bang the batter down hard enough?

Really ticks me off... icon_mad.gif

3 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 4

Don't know why it happened other than the recipe... but you don't need parchment on the sides of your pan (unless you are trying to extend the height). Just on the bottom and you can run a knife around the sides.... could have done that in this situation too to prevent the breakage.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 4

I actually did run a knife around it first before I flipped it out...I use parchment so that the sides and top don't get burned.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:55am
post #4 of 4

Kiddiecakes, mine doesn't rise much (no leavening). If you usually use a recipe with no leavening and change to one with leavening, maybe it was just too much batter because of more rising. I do have other similar recipes and they call for a 12 cup bundt or angel food pan and I only have 10 cup pans. I just fill to where it looks right and make a few cupcakes. I don't know... just a guess because I only use the one recipe for pound cake. I do grease and flour (homemade cake release) my bottom and sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%