How Do I Thicken Up A Cake?

Baking By amywood20 Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 5:15pm by cai0311

amywood20 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 5

I made the Duncan Hines white cake mix and although it is really good, those I am making it for like a more dense cake. What can I add to it to thicken it up some? I did add creme bouquet flavoring to it and don't want to add anything that will alter the taste I have created. When responding with suggestions, please let me know the quantity of whatever I should add, based off of one box mix. Oh and I have added pudding to my cakes before and that does give a nice, more dense texture, but I imagine that will alter the taste, again something I do not want to do. Thanks so much!!!

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 5

An extra egg and 1/2 cup sour cream will do extactly what you are wanting.
Have you tried using my *origianl* WASC cake recipe? It will stretch a mix and give you the consistency you are wanting.

amywood20 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

An extra egg and 1/2 cup sour cream will do extactly what you are wanting.
Have you tried using my *origianl* WASC cake recipe? It will stretch a mix and give you the consistency you are wanting.

I made the WASC cake and it was not what they were looking for as far as taste goes. They liked the Ducan Hines cake, just not the texture. If I add sour cream like you mentioned, won't that alter the taste of the cake?

HappyCake10609 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

I am no expert, but I would suggest trying the WASC recipe again and just alter your extracts. You can use the Duncan Hines mix for the box. If they don't like the vanilla/almond combo for flavoring, you can just use your Creme Bouquet flavoring, you just may have to add a bit more to compensate for the additional volume of batter. The sour cream does not alter the taste at all. If you don't tell them that you added it they would never know.

I use kakeladi's WASC recipe almost exclusively and just change the box mix flavor and extracts to suit the flavor cake I am after. It is very versatile....

cai0311 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 5

I am like HappyCake and use WASP for everything but change the cake mix, pudding mix and flavoring added for what flavor I want. For a white cake I add white chocolate pudding mix, and no, it doesn't make the cake taste like chocolate. The vanilla pudding mix is to yellow for a white cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%