Unhappy Customer!?!

Decorating By liznb2369 Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 6:22am by scp1127

liznb2369 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 11:47am
post #1 of 11

I had a christening cake that i delivered yesterday for a client. Last night i received a message from this girl, saying she didnt get the flavors she requested!! She had requested a two tier cake, botto. Layer was red velvet with bavarian, top layer was chocolate with chocolate mousse. She went on to say she never orderedsuch cakes, she wanted vanilla cake with chocolate mousse, and chocolate cake with bavarian. Luckily, i had an email from her with the flavors she requested. She went on to sayno one ate the cake because there was no vanilla cake. That red velvet was vanilla cake with red food coloring. So i explain to her there is chocolate in red velvet and she said i was lying and wanted her money back because she paid for something she didnt want. So at this point im getting mad! But i kept it professional and asked if her she still had the cake with no pieces missing, i would be glad to give her money back, (since she said no one wanted cake). All of a sudden, there were only a few pieces left of the cake, and itwas really delicious, and she figured that since the decorations on the cake were pink it would be cute to have a red cake to match. So when i forwarded her email backto her, i also attached two different recipes for red velvet. She kept going on and on about how she worked at a bakery and she wasnt stupid and she was really upset, i ofered to mail her back $20, and nicely told her that maybe she should have ordered the cake from the bakery she used to work for since they know how to make red velvet correctly! ( i said this as nicely as possible, which was hard at this point!!). She ended up saying forget it, she didnt want me to send her anything back. Does anyone think i went about this the wrong wa? This has been bothering me since i spoke to her. Sorry this is so long! Needed to vent to someone who might understand!

10 replies
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 11

I would not have offered her anything back, I think you did just fine. Some people will do anything for a freebie/ discount. I have given discounts but only when it is clear I made an error (I once forgot to put the strawbeery filling in a cake). Red velvet is such a tricky flavor because everyone exppects something different.

Do you do contracts?

Ambers_Sweet_Treats Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 11

I have been trying to find the red velvet I am going to use (I had one at christmas and didnt like it) i know it is basically chocolate cake with two pkg of red color idk what the big deal is lol, but the one i ate at christmas i didnt like at all, I would personally like a lighter color (it was soo dark more on the burgandy to black side) I have seen photos where their red velvet was red so I was to try this let me know what you think...I want to make a white chocolate cake and add the red food coloring to it that way you still have chocolate but also a nice red color too.

oh and Liz I agree with you if she wanted a vanilla cake that was red thats what she should have ordered I have pink cakes, or explosion (sprinkles color if choice)!

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 11

I would not have offered her anything back except the email stating what flavors she chose...period!!She was just trying to rip you off..Good for you!!

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambers_Sweet_Treats

I have been trying to find the red velvet I am going to use (I had one at christmas and didnt like it) i know it is basically chocolate cake with two pkg of red color idk what the big deal is lol, but the one i ate at christmas i didnt like at all, I would personally like a lighter color (it was soo dark more on the burgandy to black side) I have seen photos where their red velvet was red so I was to try this let me know what you think...I want to make a white chocolate cake and add the red food coloring to it that way you still have chocolate but also a nice red color too.

oh and Liz I agree with you if she wanted a vanilla cake that was red thats what she should have ordered I have pink cakes, or explosion (sprinkles color if choice)!

What is considered Red Velvet cake is different depending on where you are from, round here it is not a chocolate cake. The recipe I use only has 2Tbsp of chocolate, the primary flavor is buttermilk and the cake is super bright red.- if you want me to send you the recipe you can email me.

If a customer orders Red Velvet I tell them up front that mine is not a chocolatety tasting cake just so there is no misunderstanding

leily Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmysCakesNCandies

Quote:

What is considered Red Velvet cake is different depending on where you are from, round here it is not a chocolate cake. The recipe I use only has 2Tbsp of chocolate, the primary flavor is buttermilk and the cake is super bright red.- if you want me to send you the recipe you can email me.

If a customer orders Red Velvet I tell them up front that mine is not a chocolatety tasting cake just so there is no misunderstanding

I agree, red velvet cake around here is not a chocolate cake coloreed red. it is a unique flavor, and has a little chocolate in it, but it's not a red chocolate cake.

tryingcake Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:

I have been trying to find the red velvet I am going to use (I had one at christmas and didnt like it)

i know it is basically chocolate cake with two pkg of red color idk what the big deal is lol, but the one i ate at christmas i didnt like at all, I would personally like a lighter color (it was soo dark more on the burgandy to black side)

No, it's not a chocolate cake with red food coloring added. It's a buttermilk cake with a hint of cocoa added, so little, in fact, you can't place the chocolate and then add red food coloring - LOTS!

Quote:
Quote:

I have seen photos where their red velvet was red so I was to try this let me know what you think...I want to make a white chocolate cake and add the red food coloring to it that way you still have chocolate but also a nice red color too.

It's supposed to be a deep blood red. What you saw was accurate.

It sounds like you want to offer a chocolate cake with red food coloring. you have every right to do so, but it's not a red velvet cake. And obviously the chick who ordered this cake had no clue what she was ordering either. I don't care where she worked before.

You will find a few misguided people who think red velvet is a chocolate cake... but the majority of people say different. As k around to lots and lots of people and the scales will tip to a hint of chocolate is added.

Red Velvet is one of my top sellers. But whenever I sell this to someone I've never sold to before, I drill them and drill them to make sure they are ordering what I am preparing to sell them. Especially after leaving NC and moving to CA.

liznb2369 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 11:10am
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone. The red velvet recipe i use calls for more than a hint of cocoa, but regardless of how red velvet is made, she was looking for a basic vanilla cake, and she saw red velvet ans thought thats what it was, but red. So obviously i'll have to start letting people know from now on if they choose red velvet that it does have cocoa in it. Amy, i usually do contracts, but this one was a last minute order and wasn't very big, so i didn't do one. I learned my lesson on that one! thankfully i had her email stating what she ordered. Haven't heard from her since, so i'm feling better!

cai0311 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 11

I grew up in Florida and red velvet cake is very popular. Not chocolate cake with red food coloring - but red velvet cake.

I use BlakesCakes recipe posted on this site called Red Velvet Cake - Easy and Durable (or something similar to it). I think it tastes great and my customers that order that cake flavor always rave about it.

pmarks0 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:18am
post #10 of 11

If you want a scratch Red Velvet recipe, try Cakeman Raven's.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

scp1127 Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:22am
post #11 of 11

I agree with pmarks0. Cakeman's is a real crowd-pleaser... with the tweaks you can find all over the internet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%