What Are These Curled Ribbon Bits Made Of?

Decorating By angelogoo Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 5:17pm by angelogoo

angelogoo Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 10:26am
post #1 of 7

Hello all,
Please can you tell me what the curled ribbon bits behind the teddy are made of and what they are called?

Here is the link to the cake.
Many thanks.


6 replies
scp1127 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 10:47am
post #2 of 7

They are wires.

angelogoo Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 7
Originally Posted by scp1127

They are wires.

Thanks SCP,
what guage wire do you reckon they are?

Bluehue Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 7

It could be just the light hitting the wire - but they look rather thick to me
I use gauge 26 for all my cake explosions.
After cutting out my shape - i dip the end of the wire in my sugar syrup - insert into the fondant shape then allow them to lay flat for at least 24 hours to completely dry -
You can make them as far advanced as you wish.
Then fill a flower pick with fondant and slowly insert the wires -
voula - an explosion is born icon_biggrin.gif


angelogoo Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 7

I am asking about the curly things behind the bear and not the fondant decorations that were stuck on the wires. I have done explosions before and have different guaged wires but dont know what the curly things are and what they are made of.

Any help please?

cakefairy03 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 7

They do look like wires, but they also look tapered. And I've never seen tapered wires, maybe someone else has. I would just ask her and hope for a response.

angelogoo Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 7

I think i have finally found what they are...artificial bear grass which can be found in the florist shops!!! They can be curled with scissors.
Thanks for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%