Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By bellosoc Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 9:15am by sweetaudrey

bellosoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellosoc Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:53am
post #1 of 7

I want to make different animals for my cakes and I keep hearing modeling chocolate but I don't know what kind should I buy??? if anyone has any experience in using modeling chocolate please give your advise I need to know if it is the same as using gumpaste or fondant?? and what brand is the best???

6 replies
sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 10:29am
post #2 of 7

I've honestly never seen modeling chocolate to buy (you can I'm sure, but I've just never seen it). I've always heard of people making it. It's just 10 oz chocolate (dark, milk, or white) and 1/3 cup light corn syrup. You heat the chocolate to melt it (making sure it doesn't get above 100 degrees...chocolate has a low burning point). Once it is completely smooth and melted then you add your corn syrup and fold until you geta thick ball. You might have to adjust your syrup depending on the kind of choco you use.

The cool thing about modeling chocolate is not only does it taste like chocolate but you can easily smooth it with your fingers so you don't get the lines and creases like you would with fondant/gp. Be careful with heat because it melts easily though...that's why you don't get lines...because your body heat in your fingers will melt the choco and smooth down those creases. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetaudrey Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 10:31am
post #3 of 7

Oh and I forgot to say that it will need to sit for a little while to 'set up'. Then you obviously just knead it with your hands and that will make it workable. icon_biggrin.gif

bellosoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellosoc Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:02am
post #4 of 7

Thanks soo much I want to be able to decorate nice cakes, and instead of fondant I want to be able to use chocolate because I seen some really nice decorations with them thank you soo much for your help and advise.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:48am
post #5 of 7

Depending upon the size of the animals you may want to mold a figure from RKT first, then cover with the chocolate. Have fun with it!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 9:15am
post #7 of 7

No problem! Glad I could help! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%