Freezing Cake After Its Carved...

Decorating By SweetTater Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 4:12pm by JanetBme

SweetTater Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:42am
post #1 of 8

Making my first carved cake (thomas the train) and with my schedule, I really need to carve it ahead of time. I am thinking about carving it and then wrapping it really well and freezing it for a few weeks. Would this work okay? I freeze regular cakes all the time, just making sure there isn't something special about freezing or not freezing a carved cake.

Also, should I crumb coat it before freezing?

Any advice is much appreciated. TIA!

7 replies
SweetTater Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 8

cakification Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 8

I just recently made a thomas cake ( in my photos ) but I carved it and decorated it the next day. The only issue i can think of with what your suggesting is that if your going to be carving first and then freezing, will you be using some type of BC or filling in the cake? Sometimes they don't freeze well, kwim? Ive heard its Possible for some BC recipes to seperate if they are frozen, which would cause some problems if thats whats holding Your cake shape together. Otherwise, if its just cake, i dint see how it could be any different then freezing a regular cake that hasn't been carved.

TexasSugar Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 8

I froze a completely iced in buttercream (shortening recipe) and didn't have any issues with seperation. I've also frozen random bits of buttercream with out any issues. So if it is just a basic buttercream (not cooked) you shouldn't have any problems with that.

I can't see why it would hurt to freeze a carved cake as long as it is wrapped well and you have the freezer space to do it.

tryingcake Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 8

I freeze BC iced cakes all the time. My recipe is 3 parts butter to 2 parts hi-ratio. No problems.

SweetTater Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:25am
post #6 of 8

I'm not worried about the buttercream filling. I always freeze my regular stacked and filled cakes with no crumb coat. I'm just wanting to make sure the same would apply for a carved cake. I don't see why not, but was hoping someone would reply who has done it.

tryingcake Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:34am
post #7 of 8

The closest I can come to an answer:

When we have cake left over I cut them in to servings and freeze them. Then when we want a slice of cake, we have it, without making a whole cake.

I cut them, place them inside a cake box. Wrap the cake box i plastic. It was six months before they started stating stale.

JanetBme Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 8

yes, I've done that. I freeze all my carved cakes. They are so much easier to work with. A week or two wrapped in saran will keep them from getting freezer burned. If it is a reasonably small cake, then you will not have any problem at all- you can crumb coat it or not. I probably wouldn't. You should fill it if you are going to- because it will be hard to split when you do go to finish it.

The only issue I've ever had with a frozen cake that was undecorated is if it is a really large cake (like 14 inch tier...ect.) Then you can't ice it and fondant it in the same day because it takes so long to come up to room temp and dry that it will get slick for way too long if it was frozen solid.

But normal sized cakes- piece of cake-

Quote by @%username% on %date%