Egg Boogers!

Baking By nonilm Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 1:06pm by Baker_Rose

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone tell me how you handle egg boogers? I don't know how else to explain them. It is usually left on the end of my wisk after mixing cake batter but I have also found them in the baked cake. At least that's what I think it is. It ends up being a small gummy stringlike thing. thumbsdown.gif I have found it because it ends up on the edge of a cake and my leveler hits it.

I would hate to think what people eating the cake may think it is! icon_surprised.gif

What is the easiest way to remove this before adding the eggs to the batter?

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 6

Are you talking about the Chalaza in the egg? It's a natural part of the egg. If you don't want it in the cake don't let it go in the batter when you crack the egg.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 12:47am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Are you talking about the Chalaza in the egg? It's a natural part of the egg. If you don't want it in the cake don't let it go in the batter when you crack the egg.

Ah, leah_s, your knowledge humbles me. *bowing down* I always referred to this as the "umbilical cord" in my egg. I use farm fresh eggs, and find that this part is always very visible. More than with store bought eggs. I usually fish it out with a small measuring spoon. (I crack my eggs in a separate container...don't you?)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:10am
post #4 of 6

Chalaza(s), Chalazae...

What do you do with the "Egg Snot"?:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-638525-chalaza.html

Eww!!! A chicken in my egg!!!:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-702796-chalaza.html

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:30am
post #5 of 6

You don't want to even know what we call it over here. It's obscene. icon_biggrin.gif

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 6

You can whisk your eggs by themselves and then run them through a strainer. That will hold out the "boogers". Hehehehehehe

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%