Egg Boogers!

Baking By nonilm Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 1:06pm by Baker_Rose

nonilm Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 6

Can someone tell me how you handle egg boogers? I don't know how else to explain them. It is usually left on the end of my wisk after mixing cake batter but I have also found them in the baked cake. At least that's what I think it is. It ends up being a small gummy stringlike thing. thumbsdown.gif I have found it because it ends up on the edge of a cake and my leveler hits it.

I would hate to think what people eating the cake may think it is! icon_surprised.gif

What is the easiest way to remove this before adding the eggs to the batter?

5 replies
leah_s Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 6

Are you talking about the Chalaza in the egg? It's a natural part of the egg. If you don't want it in the cake don't let it go in the batter when you crack the egg.

Goonergirl Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 12:47am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Are you talking about the Chalaza in the egg? It's a natural part of the egg. If you don't want it in the cake don't let it go in the batter when you crack the egg.

Ah, leah_s, your knowledge humbles me. *bowing down* I always referred to this as the "umbilical cord" in my egg. I use farm fresh eggs, and find that this part is always very visible. More than with store bought eggs. I usually fish it out with a small measuring spoon. (I crack my eggs in a separate container...don't you?)

CWR41 Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:10am
post #4 of 6

Chalaza(s), Chalazae...

What do you do with the "Egg Snot"?:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-638525-chalaza.html

Eww!!! A chicken in my egg!!!:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-702796-chalaza.html

cheatize Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:30am
post #5 of 6

You don't want to even know what we call it over here. It's obscene. icon_biggrin.gif

Baker_Rose Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 6

You can whisk your eggs by themselves and then run them through a strainer. That will hold out the "boogers". Hehehehehehe

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%