Roses Sliding Off

Baking By MissFortunate Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 12:27am by indydebi

MissFortunate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissFortunate Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 5

A friend has asked me to make a mini cc rose bouquet for a wedding shower. I use a styrofoam ball, 1oz cups and toothpicks to hold them in a flower pot. All my roses that aren't completely upright keep sliding off the cupcakes. I'm using all buttercream. The first picture is what the bouquet looks like after I insert all cc. The 2nd picture is after an hour and the roses start dropping. Any suggestions on how to keep the roses on the slanted cc's?

4 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 5

Did you make your roses in advance so they'd have time to air dry? Air-dried roses won't be as heavy as wet ones which should allow you to place them where you want including on the sides of cakes, etc. If they aren't air dried, and you don't have time to wait for them to dry, you could try using toothpicks there (sounds like your toothpicks are holding the cc to the styrofoam in the flower pot), but they might keep ripping through wet roses. If that doesn't help, you could try attaching them with RI or chocolate, but keep them flat until you're certain the "glue" is dried. HTH.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 5

ditto on the air dried roses. Here is a pic of a cake I made with roses on the sides of the cake. None ever fell off. the "how-to" is in the comments of the photo.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1496730

MissFortunate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissFortunate Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the help. I make the roses directly on the cupcakes. So, how long should I wait for the roses to dry? Or do you think it would be better to make the roses separately and then glue them on the cc's?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 12:27am
post #5 of 5

my best recommendation is to make them the day before and let them air dry overnight. I made mine on big baking sheets and just left them on the counter. If you make them the day before, its still fast for you to assemble the cupcakes .... instead of making the rose right on the cupcake, you just pick up a rose and attach it.

With my icing, I frequently made the roses in the morning and they were dry enough to handle by that afternoon. I believe it depends on how well your icing recipe crusts (and mine crusts very well!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%