Playing W/ Fondant For The 1St Time

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 2:58pm by sweetmonkeycheese

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 3

I am going to a friend's and we are going to play w/ fondant, she is already using fondant, covers cakes, does designs, ect, but I have never touched the stuff. I am not the biggest fan so we will see how I like it.

I wonder if I will fall in love or dislike it.

I am just going to make some eyeballs for a a monster cake and some flat cut-outs for a baby shower cake that has simple flower and butterflies (carter's baby girl theme supplies)

2 replies
3GCakes Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 3

If you are anything like me, it will be a love/hate relationship.

Personally, I like fondant for modeling, but I do not like having to use three mediums at once (cake, icing, fondant) and loathe the idea of using 4 (RKT) or 5 (Royal icing) on one cake!

So I try to use as few mediums as possible. If I can get by with just cake and icing, cool. I love to pipe. If I need fondant for a smooth finish (Like for a car) but can pipe the details, cool. If it's something I can do ahead of time (a figure or flowers) then that' cool too.

I don't think I would like it if everything I did had to be fondant. It seems very time consuming to me, and a very expensive medium for a hobby baker.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 3

it went well, I would not say I am in love, but I would try to make some more stuff. I still dont want to cover a cake, but the accents were kinda cool. I dont have a great work space at my home, my friend had a big island and we could all work at the same time (my older son came w/ me) I am not as scared of it, but have a healthy recpect that it's not that easy either. ( now I see what some ppl's is thick looking or have not "clean" edges, ect.. that will be me too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%