Topsy Turvy Collapsed Under Fondant - What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 27 Mar 2011 , 11:48pm by tiggy2

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 3

I am getting ready to make a topsy turvy cake for a party this upcoming weekend. I'm nervous because our last attempt didn't end well. We used the method here cakecentral using 3D Sculpting Cakes (with sour cream and egg whites and Duncan Hines cake mixes). We carved the cakes and they looked fine but when we went to fondant them, then started to kind of crumble down. I think maybe we rolled the fondant too thick. Does anyone have any other ideas on what might have gone wrong?

2 replies
SammieB Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 3

For some reason I've not had luck with the sour cream recipe. My cake was too mushy and crumbly. I have been using a different doctored recipe with my DH cake mix. I use 1 package pudding mix (whatever compliments your flavor), 1 c. Whole milk, 1/2 c. Softened butter, 1/3 c. Vegetable oil, and 4 eggs. I've had much better luck with this!

I also bake several days in advance and freeze my cakes. That way I can still fill and carve while they are thawing, and they are much more durable that way. I'm by no means a fondant expert, as is evident by my pics, but I've been having decent luck with my MMF fondant being around 1/4" thick. HTH some!

tiggy2 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 3

What support system are you using?

Quote by @%username% on %date%