William & Kate's Royal Wedding Cake

Lounge By Alfiesmom Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 7:46am by warchild

Alfiesmom Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 5

From this morning's news. Can't wait to see this

Prince William and Kate Middleton have chosen Leicestershire, England-based cake designer, Fiona Cairns to create the cake for their April 29 wedding, a Palace spokesperson tells UsMagazine.com in a statement.

"The wedding cake will be a multi-tiered traditional fruit cake," said the rep. "The cake, which will be decorated with cream and white icing, will have a strong British floral theme using elements of the Joseph Lambeth technique."
Cairns, who began her business 25 years ago, was selected for her "creative style" and use of traditional British ingredients.

But those royal wedding guests craving chocolate need not fret.

"In addition, the couple have asked McVities Cake Company to create a chocolate biscuit cake for the reception at Buckingham Palace," said the rep. "The chocolate biscuit cake will be made from a Royal Family recipe and was specially requested by Prince William."

4 replies
simplysouthern Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 5

No doubt it will be stunning! I too am anxious about seeing it!!

Narie Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 5

A groom's cake will now be a part of English Weddings. That armadillo cake in "Steel Magnolias" created a whole new custom out side the southern U.S.

Chellescakes Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 7:30am
post #4 of 5

I wonder if this will start a trend back to fruitcake for weddings, I rarely do them these days . Only at Christmas time. I love it when I do get to do one as you can have the cake made heaps ahead .

warchild Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 7:46am
post #5 of 5

I was looking up Fiona Cairns after reading she was chosen to make the cake, and came across this. My my! icon_razz.gif

The Independent:
Prince William and Kate Middletons choice of a multitiered fruit cake for their wedding breakfast, by Fiona Cairns, has raised eyebrows. Im surprised theyve chosen someone who designs cakes for a supermarket, one rival sniffed. Nick Fox

Quote by @%username% on %date%