Cake Dummies For Display

Decorating By benice Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 4:55am by sweetendulgence

benice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
benice Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 11

Hello everybody @ CCs
does anybody know how to preserve a dummy cake for display?
Using frosting, gumpaste flowers and fondant I think it will attract bugs and will overtime collect dust if not covered by something.
Any ideas

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 11

Meh, it will probably be OK. I have sprayed mine with any spray on occasion. And yes, just like anything else, they will gather dust, so you have to dust them.

benice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
benice Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for responding. What kind of spray? acrylic

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 11

agree with leah. no special treatment required. I never sprayed, preserved, or covered in any way, any of my dummies. Some were more than 2 years old. Never had bugs or mold or anything else in that vein. Mold needs moisture to form and once the icing crusts, there is no moisture left.

Carla9900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carla9900 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 11

indydebi - I'm doing a styrofoam dummy cake this weekend for the 1st time. I would like to keep it afterwards to store at my business. I'm afraid the fondant will crack and dry out eventually - or discolor. Do you have any insight for me or pointers for me on this? I'm planning on just covering a 12 or 14" round styrofoam with either water or shortening then using fondant to cover it, and have fondant accents (including flowers on it and possibly suspended on wires)....and present bow and spirals on top.

I"m worried it will either fall apart or dry out if i leave it set out. Also how long are they able to set out before you notice 'wear' on them?

Thank you so much for any advice anyone!!

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 11

I've done more BC dummies than fondant but CCer jillmakescakes has a lot of fondant dummies in her shop. In conversations with her and trips to her shop, I can tell you that she has fondant covered dummies that are 2 years old with no cracking or dried-out effect. I know she uses piping gel to apply the fondant to her dummies.

sweetendulgence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetendulgence Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've done more BC dummies than fondant but CCer jillmakescakes has a lot of fondant dummies in her shop. In conversations with her and trips to her shop, I can tell you that she has fondant covered dummies that are 2 years old with no cracking or dried-out effect. I know she uses piping gel to apply the fondant to her dummies.

If you don't mind me asking, I read somewhere that cakes for display could not be covered in buttercream only royal icing or fondant, I'm guessing this isn't right? I have also purchased some dummy cakes and will be decorating them for display as well.

bitofsnshn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitofsnshn Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:16am
post #8 of 11

I agree i have had some dummies for atleast a year in a box in my house. No bugs or cracking. Now cakes on display exposed to the sun i would imagine would probably fade after a while.

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:34am
post #9 of 11

I have been playing with dummies lately for a lot of practice. Thanks to the CCer's here I have picked up a lot of tips that helped.
I will tell you that you can use buttercream just leave out the flavoring when you make it. I actually prefer to use buttercream or fondant on the dummies over royal icing. It might just be me (because I am still super slow) but I have a hard time getting the royal smooth before it gets to hard to manipulate. I do love it for decorations, but just not as your basic cover.

indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:21am
post #10 of 11

As mentioned above, yes you can use BC for dummies. I also leave out the flavoring. Mine would crust up hard as concrete (like royal does? no idea since I never use royal for anything cake) and people would love it when I'd tell them in the shop or at a bridal show, "Sure! You can touch 'em! Go ahead!" icon_biggrin.gif

sweetendulgence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetendulgence Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 4:55am
post #11 of 11

Thanks ladies for the great tips! I'll try it with buttercream made with just powder sugar and shortening since it has less moisture than butter and its less expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%