Cake's Done - How Much Do I Charge?!?

Decorating By jello55 Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 1:21am by JulieMN

jello55 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 2:31am
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone!
I've just completed a bridal shower cake for tomorrow, problem is I don't know how much to charge! The cake is approximately 14 by 21 inches with a Raspberry-Cream Cheese Mousse filling, crumb coated in buttercream and then covered in a pink fondant... I've also made 80 small flowers with buttercream centers to float down one side, 100 fondant balls to trim the bottom and a white silhouette bride (hand cut and luster-dusted) down the full length of the cake, flowing onto the bottom side and part of the board. HELP! Thanks so much for your help and expertise! Looking forward to your responses!

8 replies
leily Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 3:32am
post #2 of 9

Well what you're price should be and what you get may be two different things this late in the game. Since you haven't discussed pricewith your client they may already have an idea of how much they are going to spend which may be more or less that the price you come up with.

For pricing, check out this thread. Pricing varies so much from one town to the next, one country to the next etc... each persons cost are different, and what one can charge for their time is different too.
Texas Sugar has a lot of great post in this thread that combines a lot of information that is in other pricing threads.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-.html

jello55 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 9

Hello again everyone! I should clarify - we discussed an approximate price for previous orders I have taken as well as the fact she wanted the Cream Cheese Moussse and fondant... problem is I don't know how much my time is worth... it took me between 7 and 8 hours to complete. Thanks so much for your thoughts and input!

Mfattore Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 9

I agree that price should have been nailed down before cake was made. I would stick with the original quote, whatever that was, regardless if it took me more time. If you gave them a range like $100-$150, I would go with the higher end to cover the additional time spent decorating. If you try to add on too much $$ for time now it may not turn out so good. Learn from this to estimate all costs, including your approximate time before quoting a price on a cake.

indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 9

also agree that price should be nailed down to the penny prior to accepting the order, AND some kind of deposit should be received, if not the whole payment, in advance. Stick to the first quote and write it off as a learning experience. We all have at least one of those under our belt! thumbs_up.gif

cakesdivine Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 5:51am
post #6 of 9

In the future NEVER EVER EVER make a cake that isn't paid for in full prior to you opening your oven to bake it! Price should have been agreed upon long before the event AND payment for the custom cake should have been received at least 2 full weeks prior to the event. This is common practice for custom cake orders. You are not a grocery store! Do not price your cakes even close to those, you will lose money if you do.

There is so much that goes into the pricing of a cake the link that was given to you is a great place to start. Here is a link to my price grid. www.cakes-divine.com/Pricegrid.html Take into consideration what your competitors are charging for your area and work it from there. Read the forum thread to understand my break downs. This is only a guide, you have to work the math yourself for your expenses, profit wanted, and area price point norm.

cakification Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 9

I dont have any idea about price, but I just wanted to say your design sounds very interesting.. Do you have any pics?

Mfattore Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 9

I too would love to see a pic. It sounds like a nice design. What did you end up charging? No that I think about it 14 x 21 is quite a few servings. How did it all pan out?

JulieMN Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:21am
post #9 of 9

Agree with all those who indicated that it is far too late in the process to be asking this question. How did you resolve it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%