Wedding Cake Dilemma

Decorating By dragnsmagic Updated 27 Mar 2011 , 1:43am by dragnsmagic

dragnsmagic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragnsmagic Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 1:14am
post #1 of 3

I'm having a wedding in the fall and my future husband isn't a big fan of cake but I did find something he's okay with. Spice cake with cream cheese icing! It's going to be a small three tier, nothing big and decorative. However, all the bakers I've talked to says pound cake is sturdier and easier to work with. The cake will fall apart because it's soft. Cream cheese icing can't be colored and doesn't hold up well on a cake like buttercream.

What am I to do? Is this true or is it something I could maybe work with to get the cake I want? I see how to's and things on the internet that say differently about the type of cake I'm trying to get. I'm so confused.

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 1:17am
post #2 of 3

Spice cake is fine. Cream cheese icing, unless it's specifically formulated to not need refrigeration is a really bad idea for wedding cakes. Dairy products like cream cheese can only be out of refrigeration for four hours. Not long enough to be decorated and on display.

dragnsmagic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragnsmagic Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 1:43am
post #3 of 3

I'm trying to avoid using buttercream so could I use whipped topping maybe instead of icing at all then? I heard fondant wasn't too tasty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%