Wedding Cake Dilemma

Decorating By dragnsmagic Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 5:50pm by graciesj

dragnsmagic Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 1:14am
post #1 of 5

I'm having a wedding in the fall and my future husband isn't a big fan of cake but I did find something he's okay with. Spice cake with cream cheese icing! It's going to be a small three tier, nothing big and decorative. However, all the bakers I've talked to says pound cake is sturdier and easier to work with. The cake will fall apart because it's soft. Cream cheese icing can't be colored and doesn't hold up well on a cake like buttercream.

What am I to do? Is this true or is it something I could maybe work with to get the cake I want? I see how to's and things on the internet that say differently about the type of cake I'm trying to get. I'm so confused.

4 replies
Marianna46 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 5

Who says cream cheese icing can't be colored? I've never done it, but I have a couple of things in my photos covered in pure cream cheese, and it was easy to tint. I'd recommend the paste colors (or powdered ones), though, because the liquid gels might dilute the cream cheese too much. As far as the cake is concerned, it's true that a pound-like cake would hold up to carving and decorating better than the traditional spice cake, but I have a suggestion: why don't you see what spices are in a spice cake and try putting them into a pound cake to see how it tastes and holds up? Or you could try googling a "spice pound cake" to see what pops up. If your baker isn't comfortable with accommodating you (and I'm assuming you're talking about a professional bakery), I'd say you need to look for another baker. This doesn't seem like such a difficult problem to me.

cheatize Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 5

It's the supports that holds the next tier, not cake. I've seen tons of tiered and stacked cakes made using cake mixes. As long as the cake isn't carved, you can use whatever kind of cake you like.

sugardugar Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:07am
post #4 of 5

Pound cake, and similar durable cakes, are for carving....yes Most cakes can be tiered. If they think they can't be, they don't understand proper support systems! I just made a tiered cake whose bottom (of 4) layer was carrot cake and my carrot cake recipe is similar in texture to my spice so you can have spice!

I colour my cream cheese frosting. If you want fondant, you'd want cream cheese BC underneath but can still use cream cheese frosting as your filling.

graciesj Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 5

so ladies if you don't mind me asking which support systems you use? Also what would advice a at home baker to use within budget? thank-you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%