My First Wedding Fair Today.. Feeling Deflated And Elated..

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 27 Mar 2011 , 8:59pm by tryingcake

allaboutcakeuk Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 5

Took part in my first wedding fair today. Worked my backside off for weeks to do sugar flowers, design cakes, worked backside off y'day making tasters - 3 flavours, all cupcakes, beautiful baroque cases, fruit cake too - all displayed well.

Elated: fantastic feedback from venue (their first exhibition) and people admiring cakes

Deflated: lack of brides and people going "OMG £350 for a cake". This cake was 3 tier square 12", 10", 8", hand made full blown red sugar roses, rose petals, roses as topper, in sponge cake and filling of your choice.

My 3 tier heart cake (in my gallery) £350 for 3 tiers of 12", 10", 8" (£385 inc all decorations and hand piped royal icing design)

Basic 2 tiers with iced no deco apart from ribbon for a 9" and 6" for brides on a budget from £125.

Was i really that over priced???? I like to think I'm reasonable. People commented on how immaculate the icing was and another cake maker (since retired) commented on how great the cakes were.

icon_sad.gif

4 replies
Dayti Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 5

Were you the only cake decorator there? I'm wondering because if it was a small fair, if people don't have other decorators to compare you with, they might think you were expensive (personally, I don't think your prices are expensive). And they wouldn't be able to compare the quality of your work with others either. Either that or clearly those brides haven't done any cake shopping yet and haven't got a clue...

Don't get yourself down, your cakes are lovely. Onwards and upwards!

Sangriacupcake Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 5

I think your experience is rather typical!! I've only been to 2 wedding shows--I help out my friend, Shelly, who does beautiful wedding cakes. My only job is to pass out samples and schedule consultations, but I consider it a challenge to overcome all objections and to get people to see the advantage of a custom cake.

Whenever I get the "these cakes are so expensive" comments, I respond, "But Shelly is a true cake artist!" and explain that if they want an ordinary cake, there are lots of ordinary bakeries out there...but if they want a very special cake for their very special day, then they definitely should schedule a consultation.

Some brides roll their eyes and walk away, but if they seem to be considering what I've just said, I point out the hand made sugar flowers, the scratch recipes made with high quality ingredients, the uniqueness of each design, and the delicious Italian meringue flavored however the bride & groom desire. Then I give them a sample and encourage them to try it right then & there. I say things like, "Isn't that the silkiest icing you've ever experienced?!" or "Can you taste the amaretto?" or "That recipe is made with vanilla beans and scratch lemon curd." Ya gotta sell it!

Some cakers think that making a pretty cake is enough to get customers to buy their creations. Not so! Don't be afraid to sell yourself, and don't worry if people walk away thinking your prices are too high. Not everyone can afford a custom cake, right? Best of luck in the future. icon_smile.gif[/i]

allaboutcakeuk Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

I think your experience is rather typical!! I've only been to 2 wedding shows--I help out my friend, Shelly, who does beautiful wedding cakes. My only job is to pass out samples and schedule consultations, but I consider it a challenge to overcome all objections and to get people to see the advantage of a custom cake.

Whenever I get the "these cakes are so expensive" comments, I respond, "But Shelly is a true cake artist!" and explain that if they want an ordinary cake, there are lots of ordinary bakeries out there...but if they want a very special cake for their very special day, then they definitely should schedule a consultation.

Some brides roll their eyes and walk away, but if they seem to be considering what I've just said, I point out the hand made sugar flowers, the scratch recipes made with high quality ingredients, the uniqueness of each design, and the delicious Italian meringue flavored however the bride & groom desire. Then I give them a sample and encourage them to try it right then & there. I say things like, "Isn't that the silkiest icing you've ever experienced?!" or "Can you taste the amaretto?" or "That recipe is made with vanilla beans and scratch lemon curd." Ya gotta sell it!

Some cakers think that making a pretty cake is enough to get customers to buy their creations. Not so! Don't be afraid to sell yourself, and don't worry if people walk away thinking your prices are too high. Not everyone can afford a custom cake, right? Best of luck in the future. icon_smile.gif[/i]

Hi there, thanks ladies. I think Sangria you are right and I think this is one of my biggest stumbling blocks. I have trouble selling myself! I know some people are really pushy which I don't like so I think I tend to not do any selling of myself at all for fear of coming over pushy. My friend came with me and she was fantastic and came up with stuff that went over my head as I was so in the moment of my first one. I think pointing out the good cake taste and decoration is brilliant thank you icon_biggrin.gif

tryingcake Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 5

I do wedding shows all the time.

First - and my opinion only - BASED ON EXPERIENCE - the majority of brides at a bridal fair are looking for cheap. They think they are looking for quality - but they are not - they are looking for cheap.

I did the same thing as you for my first Faire. I really went all out with my displays, etc. When I got there I found I was the only one of the cake vendors that did this.... hmmm.... why?

At the end of the day and from the calls I received after and actual bookings I received - they all wanted cheap and tastes good... not custom and wow.

I do about 3-4 shows a year. I get about 6-8 bookings per show. I have other vendors tell me that this is a good return. I guess, I don't know. But either way, I now display cakes that are "average" in the WOW factor. I have one additional small cake that has been displayed at many shows that shows I know how to make edible flowers. Only one! Not once has edible flowers been booked from a show (cherry blossoms don't count). The average looking cakes get booked. I book the prettier cakes from other sources, not the Bridal Faires.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%