Cream Cheese Icing Too Soft -- How To Fix

Baking By luddroth Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 6:04pm by luddroth

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 4

Tried a Martha Stewart recipe for butterscotch cream cheese icing -- it involves adding a butterscotch mixture to cream cheese beaten with powdered sugar. First, it broke. Then, I brought it back together with more cream cheese and more powdered sugar. After overnight in the fridge, it was still too soft (falls off a knife). I have added almost 2 cups more PS and it's still too soft. Ideas?

3 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 4

The only way of fixing it would be by adding A LOT more PS. I did that once and came to find out the hard way that a cream cheese icing is not necessarily all cream cheese. Most recipes call for a base of High ratio shortening or real butter buttercream and then you add about 4 oz of cream cheese to that. So you could try making a regular buttercream batch and then adding about 2 cups of your butterscotch mix to it.

When I make fudgy buttercream I make my regular buttercream and then add about two cups ganache. That is more than sufficient to give a rich and lucious flavor and texture while it is stable enough to cover a cake without falling off.

HTH

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 4

Yes try adding more PS like A LOT more...
HTH

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help -- I'll give it a go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%