Wilton Course 3

Decorating By Cupcakeboy85 Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 2:54pm by TexasSugar

Cupcakeboy85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeboy85 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 11:46am
post #1 of 7

I'm thinking of taking the gumpaste and fondant class next month and I have good knowledge of fondant even though I never actually use fondant on a cake before so my question is do you think is worth taking? or can I just teach myself with buying the supplies and watching videos?

6 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 7

I took the class and thought it was a good idea. You will get lots of tips and what is important is putting fondant on a real cake works out different than putting it on a dummy. You need to learn to deal with the moisture of a real cake. Had fun trying out some of the toys as well.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 7

The people i teach, that says they have some knowlegde of fondant, but have never actually covered a cake with it, says they wouldn,t take anything for taking the class. I teach more that the book, but still stay within wilton. hth

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 1:20am
post #4 of 7

I took courses 1 and 2. The teacher strayed from the Wilton book quite a bit. She gave us lots of ideas and recipes outside of the book. Course 3 took a long time to get enough people to have the class. I got tired of waiting and at the suggestion of the teacher, bought a box of the premade fondant and started playing with it. Then I found a recipe for MMF online which led me to this site. By the time Course 3 actually happened I knew lots more about fondant than Course 3. I took the course anyway and enjoyed the brush embroidery, swag technique and other things in the course. Wilton has since changed their books so I'm not sure what the course includes any more.

I'm now teaching the cake courses I took! They're a combination of Wilton and what I've learned from CC!

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 7

I took the Decorating Basics courses last Nov/Dec. I now want to take the Flowers Class and the Fondant class. I already have the kits and books. Do I have to take them in order? Meaning is it better to now learn Flower Basics and then Fondant?

scWMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scWMI Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:37am
post #6 of 7

You can take the classes in either order, but the Flowers and Cake Design gives a small intro to gum paste the first night. My students seem to prefer taking them in order, and I have had students come back to retake the gum paste and fondant course when they changed over last summer. I'd recommend the Flowers then the fondant since there are lots of flowers you can do in royal that aren't as complicated as gum paste versions and lead to a lot less frustration.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 7

I taught a lady last year, that had been doing cakes longer than I have been alive. She said she picked up many different tips and tricks in the classes.

I think no matter how long you have been doing this, there is always some other little tip you may pick up, from many different things. I love classes because they are hands on, and I have someone there to point out a way that might help me do something better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%